Thread: Vacuum Chuck question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Vacuum Chuck question

I'm looking at vacuum chucks and would like some input. I'm basically seeing the Hold Fast setup that uses the air compressor and I'm seeing the Oneway system that uses a vacuum pump. Any feedback on the best way to go here? I'll be using on a Powermatic PM2014 lathe if that matters. And this is the air compressor I have if it affects the recommendation (I don't want to replace with anything larger due to space constraints) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-...0445/305026725 In another post recently I asked about hollowing systems and you guys gave me guidance and I know which way I'm going there. Thank you.

On a separate note, I finally got a chance to play with the new lathe last night. Only had a piece of KD Mahogany to use for a blank so it was a little hard turning. Also, I only had some of the Easy Tools carbide tools as that's what I could get my hands on when I bought the lathe. I have a couple of tools on the way from D-Way right now (5/8" bowl and 5/8 bowl bottom gouges), and plan to order a few more today (3/4" roughing gouge and 1" skew - I think anyway). Basically working to replace some of the equipment I sold a few years ago. The little Powermatic is a pretty nice little lathe. For a mix of small stuff to occasional larger stuff, it should be fine for my hobby use.

I haven't touched a lathe in over 3 years so don't beat me up too badly. Here is the little chunk of mahogany I cut off of a scrap left over from another project. Started playing around and turned the small little bowl. It needed to be cut a good bit deeper but I got tired of scraping at it with the carbide scrapers so I called it good. The tenon is still on there so I can pop it back in and work on it some more. Only wiped it with some mineral oil so I doubt that would make a big deal for turning again. Will be happy to have some tools that cut a little better as I did have some tear out as well. Anyway, I made a nice big mess and had some fun and now am looking forward to doing more.
    IMG_2311.jpg
    71313862366__134F6B38-8E0E-4D04-95D1-DEDF88A430F5.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-08-2023 at 10:48 AM.