Thread: Dust Cyclone "Crate" for noise reduction

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust Cyclone "Crate" for noise reduction

Hi all,

Not too long after adding a super dust deputy to my 2 hp dust collector and mounting on the wall to save some space, I bought a used 3 HP Oneida V-3000, mainly because it was a good price and I'd already rented a trailer to buy a J/P from the same guy. And who doesn't need more horse power, right?

I do have enough space to mount the Oneida on the wall in the old spot as it came with a wall mount rather than a stand. But, while I've been happy with SSD, the current wall mount is loud and the garage is directly adjacent the main living area of the house. So I'm building a 'crate' for the V-3000 that will act as stand and cut down considerably on the noise if all goes well. I'm calling it a crate as it will be free standing like a large shipping crate to isolate it from the house. We plan to be in this house for at least a four more years but it definitely is not going to be the 'forever' house, so I am also aiming to make something that could be broken down and moved relatively easily and thrown up in a new and improved shop space.

After some head scratching, several draft sketches, and discovering a bunch of panel doors at the local habitat for humanity, I decided to make the skin from the doors with a 2x4 frame on the front and back, and with a plywood skin on back. The doors were $10 ea.--I really prefer to repurpose materials when I can and the six doors were quite a bit cheaper than ply would be to boot. The plan is to have a door for access on the front and a muffled exhaust in the upper left portion. I do plan to insulate with some bat insulation and possibly some sheetrock on the back if needed.

The best spot is on the other side of the shop and of course required moving a couple storage shelves a few inches to make space. The shelves block the north side garage door, which also meant the garage door rail was in the way too. The horizontal section was easy to remove, but the curved section still holds the upper part of the garage door. That was a head scratcher until I realized I can just incorporate a space for the rail into the exhaust port. The exhaust will be scrap ply serpentine baffles with some foam, full width and about 12" high and 24" long, oriented to pull air across the motor as it enters the muffler box.

Here's the progress so far-the back and part of the left side in place in the first photo and with two sides and the cyclone in for a test fit in the second. Still need to work out how to get power into the 'crate' and be kosher with code (240v outlets are nearby so no worries there) and get a dolly for the dust bin. Will be a week or so before I can make more progress, but good to get started.

IMG_7455.jpgIMG_7459.jpg
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 09-13-2023 at 12:02 AM.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra