Thread: Looking for feedback before I buy an Avid CNC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CNCs are no different than any other machinery or business decision... "application, application, application". A CNC is "another worker" for your shop so it's important that the "new worker" has the skill set and capabilities that will "pay for their salary". 5x10 is a really good size for maximum versatility for sure. It can cut BB, "long things" and so forth while also being able to do small jobs, too. I'm not personally a fan of tiling for business use, but do agree it can be valuable for the more casual user, so the longer machine again, makes sense. Other companies to look at that are within driving distance of you are Camaster and ShopSabre; made in USA machines with heavy welded construction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Seems you have good reason to buy a 5x10 machine. I am in the buy for cash camp, but if you have work on the books that justifies a more expensive machine that is the one you need rather than a compromise that will need an upgrade or replacement later, financing probably makes sense.

If you have operated cnc machines in the past then the learning curve should be minimized, especially if the controller and cad/cam software are the same. I have found Vectric VCarve Pro to be capable and relatively easy to learn, plus their licensing plan is generous and they come out with regular upgrades (purchased, but no yearly fee). If you need to design in 3d Aspire is needed, but you can import and machine 3d models in VCarve Pro.

Whatever you get, support is important. I have received a lot of help from the Camheads group and the Vectric forum.

Blog Entries
    My business partner is in the “buy cheap, upgrade later” camp. If I knew for sure the CNC business would take off, I’d be more inclined to spend more $. I have a hotel wanting me to build a very fancy mahogany bar. It would come in handy for that, but it’s not something I HAVE to have to make it. My plan is to start marketing to restaurants and make parametric wall hangings, tables, signage, etc. All can be done with the Avid, although it’s not “industrial strength.” When I was in the islands, restaurant tables with engraved or lasered logos were a huge seller. If it works out, I can upgrade and sell it. If it doesn’t, I’m not out too much, and I’ll get plenty of use just building shop jigs and making cabinet parts.

Will keep ya posted. Again, all the feedback really helps.

Personally, if for business, I am a fan of keeping 'costs' low until 'revenues' are known. Too many times I see investments made on assumption of business that never materializes.

This is the magic of 'development' in business. The goal is to create a "repeatable, scalable business model" (it is not just about making something, or proving something can work - it is about developing a process by which sustainable incomes can be made - once you have that figured out you can change out equipment that is best suited for doing it - many times it is not what you started with)