Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
I thought they would be vulcanized if they are on mine. But it's strange why Grizzly would post a video for changing the tires on the page for your saw.

The brake looks to be the same type as on mine. The brake pedal is connected to a brake pad that presses on a hub behind the lower wheel. Whatever smell it's making isn't coming from the tire, fortunately.

Your DC is rated for 1550 cfm (hard to imagine for a 2 hp motor) in the test they run. That test is run with a very short section of piping and no backpressure on the exhaust side. It will never do that in real life. If they supplied a fan curve it would show that the flow drops in a hurry as static pressure increases. They do show in the manual for that DC that the maximum static pressure is 11", meaning that's the point of zero CFM. The maximum flow through a 4" dust port is 400 CFM. Both ports, if the DC can manage enough flow at the static pressure loss of those ports, will give 800 CFM, which is about what's needed to keep the dust from building up in the bottom of the saw. Since you have the DC hooked up as close as possible might just be enough.

That leaves the blade as the probable source of why dust is ending up between the veneers. It's pretty hard for a 2 tpi blade to clear the dust from a 10" cut. If it works, it works, but if you plan to saw a lot of wide veneer you'll get better performance from the 1.3 tpi blade. The quality will be the same, there will be less heat generated, and you'll be able to cut faster.

Enjoy the saw. I'm sure it will serve you well for many years.

John
Thanks for the feedback. Yes- I agree the CFM ratings are all kind of like those “peak hp” ratings for vacuums. My Harvey G700 pulls way more air than this 2hp Grizzly, but I seem to remember the Harvey was rated even less than the Grizzly. That said, I did a test with (a) sticking my hand at the dust port in the saw to see how much pull it had there, and (b) actually pouring some sawdust into the port at the saw to see how well it was pulling. I do agree that 2tpi versus 1.3 is the probable cause, and admittedly we were feeding fairly fast because we had so many veneers to make and if I were real honest I’d say maybe we fed a wee bit too fast sometimes!!! I wish I had gotten the 1.3 tpi, but we do a lot of smaller veneers and I thought this would have a smoother cut. Good to know the 1.3 does well- I may have to get one for wider veneers. We still have the Ridgid that I can keep a finer toothed blade on.