Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disappointed with Fine Woodworking Product Review

The fixed headstock is a standard trait of midi lathes that isn't going to change, more for safety reasons. The small lathes don't have the mass to allow large/unbalanced pieces that require pivot/moving heads. Disaster would ensure if you tried rounding a large, unbalanced blank that wouldn't clear the ways with a midi lathe head pivoted 30/90 or moved all the way to the end. Beginners especially that would likely be buying a midi might not understand that just because you can mount something and rotate it, doesn't make it safe to turn.

The magazine has to have a lathe in order to review it. A number of years back when they were still operating full capacity someone asked woodworker's emporium why they didn't stock the vl150 and the response was that the one gathered so much dust over the years it took to finally sell, there was no point in ever stocking another. You can custom order it from any of the vendors named above, but you likely won't find one available waiting to ship. Most of the vendors only stock the two popular big lathes that serious turners spending that much would want (240 and 300).

Not exclusive to WW magazines, most operate on the basis of "send me your model if you want to be included in our review". There is little chance the magazine would actually pay and wait for one to get sent over from brisbane after ordering, it's just not how publishing works. By the time it got to the US the article filing deadline would be way past. They have to fill pages by certain dates and the time frame from article idea to publishing is a small/limited window.

I didn't read the other responses so this might be a duplication. I always take reviews of any kind for what they are; one person or group evaluating a selection of the product. I doubt it's possible these days to review all products on the market, so the selection is based on what can be obtained reasonably and, in some cases what can be solicited for testing. I am a turner and do know about Vicmarc; very high quality products.

Second, FWW has never been focused on woodturning. I don't believe I would consult their archived articles for woodturning. In recent years they have done more about turning but really it still doesn't seem to be their focus. Your best bet for product reviews on turning is the internet (as hopeless as that can be).

In the end, reviews can be helpful but the help from them usually is the "negatives" of a product for me. Such things as possible design flaws or things that users, in this case turners, should be aware of for their use. I wouldn't think you'd go wrong with any of the major lathe manufacturers and I'd seek reviews that specifically deal with those you have an interest in. If you want reviews on tools used for furniture making, cabinets, joinery, sanding, sawing, etc. FWW can be a good source. They aren't biased since they acquire the tools themselves and don't appear to play favorites no matter who is manufacturing the tools.

If you know about Vicmarc....you probably know more already. Its a first class lathe and FWW opinion would not have any weight with me anyway.

This is the weirdest troll thread I've seen.

The vast majority of FWW readers are in the US, and are hobbyists. I don't see any point to adding a tool most can't afford (and if you can, most of the magazine's demo likely wouldn't), and you can't even buy in the US if you wanted to. There is a lumber yard near me that has a big Martin sliding table saw (costing...who knows...$30k?)...I'm not surprised that it wasn't in the review which included a Ridgid hybrid saw. I would say that magazines review those things which are most likely to be on the radar of their demographic AND generally available to their readers. Pretty sure Consumer Reports doesn't review the Bugatti Cheryon, because...why?

Or did you just want FWW to tell you that you already have the best lathe?

Print media is dead!

Not really, but it's not bringing in the big bucks it once did. And it's not just print media, but all traditional media. So with such tight budgets these days, no one is going to be able to do a comprehensive review of every make and model of just about anything, and still have money left over to pay the bills. So most magazines and what not will just review what they can get their hands on at no or minimal cost. So in all likelihood, Vicmarc isn't represented because Vicmarc didn't want to be represented. Maybe they didn't think there products would compare favorably. Maybe they didn't have the time or stock on hand to get a sample over, maybe they didn't want to waste the money on sending out a freebie, maybe they didn't think they needed the press or believe anyone reads "that" or maybe "any" magazine anymore, or maybe they just didn't want their brand associated with "lesser" brands that it would have been compared to. It's hard to say without knowing the facts.

But this is the world we live in now. More and more companies are getting away from traditional forms of advertising and moving into the world of social media influencers as their main source of advertising.

Do believe that Jimmy Harris is onto it!

I can understand the OP's disappointment. But we should also consider there are very few print magazines still in business. I recall Chris Schwarz shut down a newsletter because the only feedback he ever got was a bunch of hostile complaining. No constructive advice. No helpful recommendations. Just a thousand different variants of "YOU'RE WRONG!". Schwarz finally got sick of it and said, "Buh-bye".

Again, just something to consider.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 01-09-2024 at 4:53 PM.

I think you gotta pay to be advertised.

I am a regular subscriber to FWW and the Australian Wood Review magazines. My expectations now are not the same as 20 years ago. Now it is interesting to read some of the hobby news and reports of tools, innovations and build techniques. All more casually than seriously. I have been around long enough to know the brands and their offerings.

Still, when a tool collection review is presented, I would like some justification for the tools chosen. This may be "these are some of the offerings in the price range, but it is not exclusive", or "these are the very best or most popular tools in the price range", or "these are the F1 tools to which we all aspire". The problem with that FWW article is that it did not set the parameters, and instead stated "best tools". What could have been added is "these are some of the tools available we were able to test".

Regards from Perth

Derek

In the past, I bought the online Version of Dave Richards first Sketchup videos. I prefer the memory stick or DVD personally. Sure enough, when my computer crashed, I requested a DVD version as it's easier to load than going through the hassle of downloading it. Regaining my downloaded version of Cutlist was a pain! The guy provided the necessary link and scolded me to make a backup copy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Vicmarc does make great lathes and great chucks. I'm sure they would compare favorably with the brands reviewed in FWW. I'm also sure that there are some negatives as there are with all tools. Whether a tool is for you or not depends on whether the negatives are important to you.

I think FWW does great reviews of tools and runs them through a large number of tests.

Based on information I have, FWW does not get the tools reviewed for free. Whether that will change with the acquisition of Taunton by AIM I don't know but, till now, it is.