Thread: Moving shop - time to buy a forklift?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Moving shop - time to buy a forklift?

I'm looking at moving my shop soon, up to 45 minutes away, and am faced with a couple decisions. Thanks for being a sounding board. I'll want a forklift eventually, out of convenience not necessity for daily operations, and am wondering if the move is bringing a large enough reason to justify the purchase.

A) buy a used forklift for unloading at the new location and borrow one from a friend for loading at the old location, use flatbeds and various vans/cargo trailer (no cost)
    B) rent one forklift, $684 for one day w/pickup & delivery, $286 for a second day, and borrow a second forklift, use flatbeds and various/vans/cargo trailer (no cost)
    C) rent a Penske 26', 3,000lb lift gate, truck, skid the lift approach so I can roll a loaded pallet jack onto it, $491 for one day and estimated mileage, $175 for a second day

What could I expect to spend for a used forklift, one that doesn't need work and won't need significant work for some years? I'm seeing prices from $6,000-12,000.

Equipment where a forklift could be helpful moving:

WBS ~ 2,200lbs
    Jointer ~ 2,000lbs
    Bandsaw 26" ~725lbs
    4x8 Workbench ~250lbs
    Sawstop 450lbs
    Spindle sander 300lbs
    Bandsaw 16" 470lbs
    Edge sander 600lbs
    Bandsaw 24" 1,050lbs
    Drill press 20" ~600lbs
    Planer 15" 550lbs
    Plywood storage rack, loaded ~2,000lbs
    Powerfeeder cart ~200lbs
    Chemical cabinet, loaded ~600lbs
    Toolboxes x4, loaded, each ~who knows?
    Hardware cabinet, loaded, ~who knows?
    Radial arm saw, 300lbs
    Unloading stacks of materials

I'm counting 14 items where it would be especially handy, for weights and awkwardness where even 4 guys would be pushed to the limit.

I got all this stuff into my current shop without a forklift, using a pallet jack, skidding trailers to the shop floor so the jack won't high-center, strapping ingenuity, and lots of time.

A box truck would be useful, but not necessary, for moving our personal items, as we'll be moving home too, out of a small rental at the same time we move the shop. Both our home (one rental) and our shop (commercial space) will be moved onto the same property.

Any other ideas, suggestions?
    Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 01-12-2024 at 12:55 PM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com