Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Cooking Thread- Rice in the Oven

Another Cooking Thread- Rice in the Oven

Most don't think about cooking rice in the oven, but it's so easy and rice turns out perfect every time. You will need a pan with a tight fitting lid, or heavy duty aluminum foil. The ratio of water to rice is 5:3 ( 5 cups water to 3 cups of rice, etc.) Bring water to a boil on stove top, adding salt and or butter. Place rice in pan and pour boiling water over it, mixing well. Cover pan, and place in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and fluff. This how restaurants cook rice.

Bought a rice cooker 40 years ago, never looked back. I use it a couple times a week, so a dedicated appliance makes sense, The rice is quick to make, trivial to set up, and also comes out perfect.

All the Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc restaurants I frequent use rice cookers, some of impressive proportions.

Blog Entries
    It is so easy to cook on top of the stove.

A lot of rice now days comes with instruction of how to cook it in a micro wave oven.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is so easy to cook on top of the stove.

A lot of rice now days comes with instruction of how to cook it in a micro wave oven.

jtk
    Does it include instructions on how to clean up microwave when rice boils over. I do stove top also, but when I need rice for more than 20 servings, it's in the oven for me. I don't need another appliance to take care of, so rice cooker is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Does it include instructions on how to clean up microwave when rice boils over. I do stove top also, but when I need rice for more than 20 servings, it's in the oven for me. I don't need another appliance to take care of, so rice cooker is out.
    ^^^^This^^^ for both reasons
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I have a Staub enameled cast iron rice cooker pot (a small coquette/dutch over). 2:1 water:rice; ten minutes low simmer after bringing to boil and covering. (that biol takes about a minute on my induction range) and then ten minutes with no heat. I typically do not make more than a cup of rice at a time and mostly it's a half-cup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My trick is I do not use a measuring cup. I use a teacup or similar of the correct size. Fill to top with rice, level with knife. Dump dry rice in bowl. Fill cup to top with water and dump water, twice, in pot to boil. I find this easier and faster then trying to read a measuring cup with rice.
    It is best to measure the rice first and set it aside. If you measure the water first the rice will stick to the cup and be hard to get it all into the boiling water.
    Bill D

As long as this is a cooking thread I bought some silicone cooking gloves. Cotton gloves inside for ease of on/off. Silicone no melt exterior. I am 6'2" and was able to get some that are a good fit from Amazon. Wonder if they would work for welding better then the heavy leather gantlets??
    Bill D
    https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Bar...46&sr=8-1&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    My trick is I do not use a measuring cup. I use a teacup or similar of the correct size. Fill to top with rice, level with knife. Dump dry rice in bowl. Fill cup to top with water and dump water, twice, in pot to boil. I find this easier and faster then trying to read a measuring cup with rice.
    It is best to measure the rice first and set it aside. If you measure the water first the rice will stick to the cup and be hard to get it all into the boiling water.
    Bill D
    That will work with rice because you can use a simple ratio and it's flexible given it's largely about water absorption, but you're mixing dry and wet measurements. One cup of rice (dry) is a different physical volume than than each cup of water (wet). Never do it that way when making a cake! And there, dry ingredients really need to be measured by weight rather than physical volume.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been making rice in the oven since seeing/reading Alton Brown recipe 15+ years ago.

I've been cooking 375 for 60 minutes, sounds like I can try going less.

As far as measuring, I used to do the 5:3 liquid:rice ratio and measure it accurately. Since then I have discovered a cheat similar to Bill D. I use one pound of rice to one quart of liquid. I try to get the brown rice in one pound bags, even if it costs more per pound that way. For liquid I use one quart of chicken stock, which is how they come in the cardboard containers. One package (quart) of stock and one package (pound) of rice is almost exactly the 5:3 ratio, comes out well, and minimizes measuring.

If using water only I add butter and salt, if using chicken stock I don't add anything.

I'm going to guess this method yields rice you can't eat with chopsticks. No mention of rinsing the chaff off either, which is pretty fundimental.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I'm going to guess this method yields rice you can't eat with chopsticks. No mention of rinsing the chaff off either, which is pretty fundimental.
    I would think people already know you have to rinse rice, just like they know to rinse certain other foods, like produce.
    And not being able to eat the rice with chopsticks is not a problem if you don't typically use chopsticks

Dump rice into rice cooker. Add water to the proper line. Press start. The cooker sings a tune when the rice is done and automatically switches to
    "keep warm". It comes out perfect every time even if I get distracted and don't get back to it until 4 hours later.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 01-29-2024 at 7:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I would think people already know you have to rinse rice, just like they know to rinse certain other foods, like produce.
    And not being able to eat the rice with chopsticks is not a problem if you don't typically use chopsticks
    I've seen a lot of people fail to rinse rice

If you can't eat it with chopsticks, it's the wrong texture.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've seen a lot of people fail to rinse rice

If you can't eat it with chopsticks, it's the wrong texture.
    It has to be sticky (i guess) to eat it with two sticks....
    Some people prefer rice fluffy AND not clumpy, that falls apart into separate grains