Thread: Koi box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Michael!

IMG_7932.jpg
    Here you can see the head is complete and the body is being built up. Fins were added on next.

I'm tardy in posting these--the project was a Christmas present and had to be done before we flew to Tucson for a family Christmas in the desert. Consequently, I decided to go with a lily pad instead of the lotus flower. Here you can see the fish packet and the lily packet built up.

IMG_7947.jpg

My original plan for a radial pattern of figured maple was also abandoned because that didn't give enough contrast. Discovered only _after_ building up said packet. Picked a piece of rather plain flat-sawn walnut instead that did a nice job of giving the impression of moving water.

Perhaps the most nerve-wracking step is to cut the fish into the background, which defines the outline and is all-or-done in places like around the eyes:

IMG_7952.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

This is great! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build and the finished product. Something about Koi fish I find beautiful.

Thanks Tony!

After both pieces were let into the background, it was time for the cauls and clamps.

Attachment 514997

I have a drum sander on loan from a buddy and played around with sanding the veneers to consistent thickness but have found that they come off close enough to consistent thickness with my bandsaw that its not worth it because the panel can be quickly flattened without fear using a toothing plane followed by a card scraper.

IMG_7963.jpgIMG_7965.jpg

The next step was to cut grooves and fit the lid to the box

IMG_7969.jpg

As I was finishing the marquetry panel, I remembered (again!) that the pencil box design needs a pull or molding along the side of the panel that is last to slide into the box. Rather than cut the panel into a rectangle as originally conceived, I decided to leave the lily whole and let it serve as a pull.

IMG_7970.jpg

I did decide that a couple pieces of molding to frame the lily pad to the left and right were need to balance it all out. Since the project was done on a deadline and the task at hand always expands to fill the time available, final finishing with shellac and wax were done on the road but under deadline. Anyway, it worked out and here's a couple shots of the finished box and the recipient was pleased!

IMG_8180.jpgIMG_8191.jpg
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 02-03-2024 at 5:15 PM.
    --Yogi Berra

And I think I figured out how to add a full sized image!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 02-03-2024 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Or not!
    --Yogi Berra

Chris, an artistic and interesting project. The natural woodgrain creates a background of motion with flowing water. The fish is a jewel and the lily pad over the edge escapes the limiting border of a box. Beautiful!

Thanks for the kind words Mark!
    --Yogi Berra