Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: How to bend wood like this - Outdoor furniture project

Hi Alan

Regarding the question of lighter cuts using a straight pattern bit, it occurred to me later than you could use a step process of progressively deepening the cut via decreasing sized bearings, such as these (which I purchased for cutting rebates) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Alan, working on your bandsaw technique is a key to being able to follow the line. Michael Fortune taught me his technique, which relies on using the back of the blade as a fulcrum for passing the front of the blade into the cut.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2011...on-the-bandsaw

Another option is use pattern bandsawing.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2008...complex-curves

I often use pattern bandsawing to rough the part, then pattern shape the result on the router table or shaper.

When I pattern shaped the legs for my chairs, I made my jigs so that I could flip my part end for end. This means that you have two jigs for each side being shaped. You shape the part going downhill with the grain; when the grain switches, you flip the part onto the other jig, and start shaping from that point.

But, in my experience, there's no substitution for hand tool work. Pattern shaping, whether with a bandsaw, router, shaper, will only get you so far. Then it's time for drawknives, spokeshaves, rasps, and sandpaper. Maybe even round bottom planes, travishers, and scorps. Even better, the reward that you get from shaping by hand is the real payoff, in my opinion.

So, machines can help to remove a lot of the work, but hand tools are often quicker and more flexible that trying to achieve a perfect result with a machine. And the marks of handwork indicate that a craftsman built the piece rather than it being mass produced in a factory.

Mike

Thanks Mike, Derek. That pattern bandsawing trick sounds like a great plan. And I do have a set of different sized bearings, so just in case could start on the router that way too.

I think I do need a better pattern bit for the router, though. Infinity tools sells a nice spiral one with sufficient cutter length, and they are in my neck of the woods, so I might get that too.

Watching Michael Fortune cutting that close to the line on the bandsaw just proves that I'm no Michael Fortune. And yes, he could have also done with by steam bending, bent lamination, probably a billion other ways. He's very, very impressive. So is Brian Boggs, whose chairs are also very impressive as is his technique in Fine Woodworking.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; Yesterday at 10:25 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.