Thread: Lie-Nielson No. 8 Jointer plane question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I still have concerns about the Lie-Nielson tote height and, realistically, I really don't think I need a No. 8 for what I need to do. The Veritas No. 7 will work just fine, so Tony can have the No. 8 if you want to sell it, lol.

I have a No.5-1/2 and a No.7 from Lie-Nielsen. Out of the box, the tote on the 7 was significantly more comfortable/less cramped than the 5-1/2. I think the totes are the same size, but the 7 has a little more space between the tote and frog.

On the 5-1/2, I made the tote shorter by about a 1/8" (or a bit less) and that created more space for my index finger under/behind the frog. This alleviated a lot of the cramped feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    I still have concerns about the Lie-Nielson tote height and, realistically, I really don't think I need a No. 8 for what I need to do. The Veritas No. 7 will work just fine, so Tony can have the No. 8 if you want to sell it, lol.
    Hi Aaron

Both the LN and Veritas Custom planes are excellent. I own the Veritas, and can speak with some experience about the handles and choices. I wrote a very detailed description of these, which can be found here ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...omPlanes1.html

Regards from Perth

Derek