Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router Bit won’t budge.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm having trouble telling if the threads are part of the router bit or collet. I'm guessing the collet....

Get some thin angle iron from the hardware store. Drill a hole and machine screw through one end. Now you have a "V" with both pieces of angle facing up. Use that V on a vise and have it pinch between the bit and the collet. Then you can take a nail punch and tap on the collet. If the threads are part of the collet that won't work but you can then flip the bit/collet around and take a screwdriver and tap in the slit of the collet just a little. If you have a workbench with dog holes you could use that instead of a vise. I wouldn't tighten the angle too much either because technically they'll be on different planes. The slop should help compensate. Hope it works. I had a friend push a router bit all the way in and it was a bear to get out.

The other idea is similar. Put 2 nuts with a large washer between them. Put the lowest washer in a vise and use a screwdriver to pop the router bit out. You could also use the angle iron or aluminum angle V from above. Personally I'd use aluminum due to it's softness.
    Last edited by Daniel O'Neill; 03-26-2024 at 2:00 PM.

I think it is time to note that the OP never returned.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I think it is time to note that the OP never returned.
    Hes still in the shop trying to remove the bit

I thought the o-ring was on the shank of each and every bit.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    It sits below the router bit

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    More like a small plumbing washer than an o-ring. You know the type - the small - less than the size of a dime - little plumbing seat washers.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-Pa...Washer/3380002
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

He just might be George.

Blog Entries
    Hi Connie,

Given how difficult this is to remove, I suspect the router bit may have spun in the collet, in which case, both items are trash.

If you can get it apart, inspect both for burrs.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I agree with Brian. Collets are "technically" disposables and one should never, ever use a collet that has or is suspected to have damage because it's an unsafe piece of tooling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Surprise! It’s me!!!

I think I’m just going to take it in to a hardware store or repair store of some kind.

Funny story Patty.

No, and I’ve lost my patience with it several times. Today I was screaming in frustration.

Trash it. You're at the point, well probably past it, where you're likely to injure yourself in a fit of frustration and desperation. And, as noted, even if you do get them apart, they're probably damaged beyond repair at this point.

I had a router bit spin in a collet once. The collet was integral to the motor shaft (cheap router) and once I removed the bit by destructively opening the collet with a screwdriver, I was surprised at just how small of a burr it took to jam the whole thing up.

Luckily in this case it wouldn't require replacing the whole router, just the collet and but.