Thread: Is the cost of anything not going up?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Yep, and I’ve got a holly tree that I bought at least 15 years ago that has never produced berries.
    You may have a male holly tree. You need to buy it some friends,,,,,
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If he does get his tree a "lady friend" I hope there are bees around to facilitate the courtship.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Thanks,Lee. I was warned about it taking a long time . Giving it lots of banana peels ! Actually saw a berry recently ! Bought the tree
    from a good dealer . It’s a Nellie Stevens, which is known to be the fastest growing kind . Has real glossy leaves ….so I don’t have to
    wax them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Thanks,Lee. I was warned about it taking a long time . Giving it lots of banana peels ! Actually saw a berry recently ! Bought the tree
    from a good dealer . It’s a Nellie Stevens, which is known to be the fastest growing kind . Has real glossy leaves ….so I don’t have to
    wax them.
    As others have mentioned, holly is dioecious. That means you have to have a male and a female to get berries.

Be careful for what you wish. Birds will drop seeds from berries in some place where you, or your neighbors, may not want holly trees. A few years ago a neighbor had some holly trees removed. He was very happy for me to take the wood away as it saved him dump fees. Didn't have a way to quick dry it so it isn't as white as properly dried holly. It is still a pretty wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nellie Stevens doesn’t need a pollinator, that’s probably another reason she is so popular.