Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
This is easily the most interesting/important discussion I've ever read on SMC. For the record, I align with Malcolm. The transition away from oil and gas dominance is important, cleaning the air is vital, but we are moving too fast. It's more political than logical. People have to heat their homes. I have a hunch fossil fuels will be with us for a very long time, if not forever. Introducing viable alternatives is great and should be encouraged of course. The more diverse our energy supply is, the more robust it is. Things happen. A huge solar farm in Texas was just wiped out by a hail storm. Until that can be rebuilt, alternatives are needed to make up that loss of power.
What, in your opinion, are signs that we are moving too fast?

Here are a few signs that we are not. The hottest 10 years on record for world temperatures are the last 8 years, yes only 8 because of ties. That hail storm you referred to was a sign of more severe weather events as a result of climate change. Another thread on this forum discusses increases in home insurance, higher rates are driven in large part by increases in severe weather events.