Quote Originally Posted by Dave Schreib View Post
Thanks. Where does one buy a second iron? And can you link me to a good sharpening video? I would need both materials and technique.
I just typed "replacement iron for Stanley No. 5 plane" on ebay, and found dozens, they range in price from 20-30 bucks for serviceable ones.

Sharpening... That's a whole other issue. I will tell you what I do now, and what I would do if I were starting out.

I now use diamond stones. I buy them from Sharpeningsupplies . com

I get the DMT brand, the dia-sharp kit. There are four stones from extra coarse to extra fine. They come in lengths of 6, 8, 10, and now 11-inch lengths. I got the 10-inch lengths 8-years ago and they're still going strong. I will likely add the new extra extra coarse 11-inch stone for heavy grinding, and get rid of my Tormek. Then strop with leather and some compound, choose the color you like, I've never seen that it makes a lot of difference.

If I was starting out today, I would get three thin diamond stones. Look at Amazon, they have Asian imports for less than $15.00 each. Then look up Paul Sellers: Edge sharpening for under £10. He has a method of using contact cement to glue the plates to plywood to make an inexpensive setup for less than $50.00. I think it's the best way to get up and running quickly. All you then need is a strop.

DC