Thread: Weed Control for Rock Beds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Also 2-4 D works great. Add some surfactant also. Both available on Amazon.

Most of my yard has a thick layer of mulch, which I'll hand weed. The mulch keeps most of the weeds down, but for those that do sprout up, they are not rooted in the dirt so easy to pull up (dirt where I'm at is heavy in clay, so once weeds get rooted in that, hard to pull up). Keeping on top of things is fairly important - easy to pull up small weeds, harder to pull up big weeds, and really want to get rid of them before the produce seeds to make more weeds. A couple hours a week is more than enough to keep those areas fairly weed free.

But for my pavers or rocks where weeds sprout up, I use round up - no danger of overspray hitting plants I don't want to kill, but otherwise trying to pull up plants that are growing in the cracks between the pavers does not work very well.

As an aside, in the summertime, everything is on drip irrigation (no rain here in the summer) which also greatly reduces weeds vs sprinklers which spray water over a large area (which I see some people using for entire planting beds, but it does mean that sections of that bed are getting plenty of water for weeds to grow where there are no plants)

All of this depends on the amount of property one is maintaining. If my properly was 4x bigger, I'd probably rethink a lot of this, but that would also lead into other thoughts on what to do with all that space.