Thread: Hot Glue added to the workholding arsinal

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hot Glue added to the workholding arsinal

I recently took advantage of a 15% off coupon at HFT and picked up the Bauer hot glue gun that matched the battery system I have for a bunch of other Bauer tools I happen to own. I did this because I was intrigued about using it for some material work holding on the CNC, having seen this method employed by a bunch of folks "out there". I had some things to cut for a friend this week, so I put it to the test. It actually works quite nicely, although I will note that it's best for holding rough lumber or ply rather than things with porus 'finished' edges because of needing to knock it off after the cut. For this first experience, I did place a few clamps to supplement against lateral movement, but in the end, I do not believe they were needed. Note also that this particular cutting was not "heavy work" with a lot of lateral force...it was merely cutting recesses for the resin inlay that my friend does before selling the items I help him out with. I'm going to continue to work with this method when it's practical to do so as it will reduce the use of screws. And that includes on my slab flattening table, too.

This was the setup for the first test.

IMG_6661.jpg Cover.jpg

BTW, my friend asked for a video of the process to show his clients and I'll share that here just for fun. Boring stuff, but...

This was the stuff I cut for him on Friday.

IMG_6680.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-30-2024 at 10:09 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...