Thread: Catenary Bowls?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have what I think are some examples, but it's a fine distinction between some true parabolic and some catenary curves...

And, of course, the catenary comes in many variations, depending on the suspension length (sag) and distance between suspension points.

Also, the piece has to be photographed square to its side (something I rarely do), for the true curve to be seen. Anyway, here are a few that I think are close to catenary. In some cases you have to mentally complete the curve into the foot...

And with others you have mentally separate the curve at the bottom of the piece at which point it transitions into the upper part of the piece...

Last edited by Neil Strong; 04-04-2024 at 10:03 PM.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post

And with others you have mentally separate the curve at the bottom of the piece at which point it transitions into the upper part of the piece...

I do have a few pieces where I've made an abrupt change from the catenary shape in the bottom of the piece into a closing form on the top of the piece, in which case the bottom catenary is more obvious...

The flutes on many makes of bowl gouges are now described as parabolic, some of them erroneously so where they have a distinct V flute profile with straight sides. But, of those that are more genuinely described as parabolic, there are some that could be more accurately described as catenary. However, it is hard enough getting only those BGs with true parabolic flute profiles to be called that without adding another flute descriptor into the terminology we use to describe flute profiles.

For those with a geometry bent, the following is a link that explains how a catenary would have almost the the same curve as a parabola (given the same span and sag) if the catenary was formed by a cable/chain carrying no weight other than itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C...y_parabola.svg
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 04-04-2024 at 10:01 PM.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...