Thread: Do You Avoid Buying Gas When...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I will try to explain for you google mechanics, gasoline from the time is refined starts loosing its freshness and octane. After about 5 or 6 months its starting to go stale and loses some of its octane. Premium gas holds its octane longer and stays fresh longer, for long term storage I use Sta-bil . I have been doing this longer than before the Internet was invented and I do not have issues, period. For me an extra 20 cents is no big deal. A farmer friend of mine goes in town once a year and fills all his tanks for the farm with Premium non ethanol gas, he learned this years ago.

Yes different brands and grades of gas have different additives and its dumped in at the pipeline terminal in the tanker truck, and I have seen it done.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I will try to explain for you google mechanics, gasoline from the time is refined starts loosing its freshness and octane. After about 5 or 6 months its starting to go stale and loses some of its octane. Premium gas holds its octane longer and stays fresh longer, for long term storage I use Sta-bil . I have been doing this longer than before the Internet was invented and I do not have issues, period. For me an extra 20 cents is no big deal. A farmer friend of mine goes in town once a year and fills all his tanks for the farm with Premium non ethanol gas, he learned this years ago.

Yes different brands and grades of gas have different additives and its dumped in at the pipeline terminal in the tanker truck, and I have seen it done.
    While I've never worked at a service center, I have been working on cars and trucks since the late 1970s. I have rebuilt many engines. I have restored multiple classic cars. I don't think that makes me a "Google Mechanic". But OK, sure, FIVE OR SIX MONTHS can affect octane. Your typical daily driver does not let gasoline sit in a tank at home for five or six months.