Thread: Forget 'Baby on board'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've had one to mount for several years, but it's not that high on the to-do list. Hard part is finding a place for the GPS whose screen would be used that it would stay in place securely. I haven't spent any time looking at mounts for years. Nice screens come with new $100,000 trucks, but this one has been paid for going on 24 years now.
    If/When you’re ready, if cameras are your trump card, look at GMC. For the moment at least, they are killing it. My new one has 7 cameras, and a port on the bumper for a trailer cam, located either inside a cargo box, or on the back (to maintain 360deg view). (Mine was <$100k…much!)

ETA -
    As far as a screen ‘mount’ is concerned, perhaps look at a new stereo (aka head unit, in today’s world)? Many offerings include an option for camera integration and will be as secure as the original stereo. And new stereos can be had for less than a new truck!

We return you now to your regularly scheduled OP topic.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-10-2024 at 11:08 AM.

I'm guessing yours is not a diesel dually. I haven't looked at them lately, but not too long ago they were all around a hundred grand. New stereo is a good tip. It needs one anyway. That's about the only thing that's quit working in this 24 year old one with 387,000 miles. I was hoping it would last until they came out with a plug in version. I only put a few hundred miles a year on it these days. This one has been so reliable because it was the last year they made them with no smog control stuff on it. It doesn't even have an EGR system on it.

I'm guessing yours is not a diesel dually. ...
    Not dually or HD, alas. Sierra 1500 Duramax 3.0L turbodiesel for towing in the nosebleed seats (:: CO). (Tried to put a receiver hitch on a Cayman but mechanic just laughed at me.)

I'm guessing yours is not a diesel dually. I haven't looked at them lately, but not too long ago they were all around a hundred grand. New stereo is a good tip. It needs one anyway. That's about the only thing that's quit working in this 24 year old one with 387,000 miles. I was hoping it would last until they came out with a plug in version. I only put a few hundred miles a year on it these days. This one has been so reliable because it was the last year they made them with no smog control stuff on it. It doesn't even have an EGR system on it.
    I put one on my step van, but that was easy. The one I used did not have a data link, it was wireless. I did have to tap into the tail light for power at the camera. And I had two acres of dash to install it on.