Thread: Tormek ... Gimmick?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tormek ... Gimmick?

I just purchased a Tormek T8 Custom and fitted it with 10" CBN and leather wheels. I already had a slow speed 10" grinder with 8" CBN wheels and a Oneway grinding system for sharpening woodturning tools, which has served me well. The Tormek purchase was motivated after getting into some wood carving. I thought it might be better suited for that purpose especially because of the leather honing capability and since I would be wood carving in another part of my shop an additional sharpening station seemed to make sense. After setting up the machine I sharpened a couple of general purpose chisels with the Square Edge Jig. My first impression was ... why did I purchase this? The chisel already had a decent flat ground edge that could've been easily touched up with my sharpening stones. And if the edge was so badly damaged I could've fixed it with tools I already had. I also got the feeling that the Tormek was nothing more than a gimmick, one of those late night purchases on the shopping channel, my wife's purchases not mine. Should I keep the Tormek and risk it ending up in a closet along with the bread maker, various vegetable cutters, cotton candy machine, hot dog cooker, etc?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 04-09-2024 at 9:49 AM.