Hey Steve,

I had a OF2000 that i picked up in a used lot years ago and immediately turned around and sold it for a profit. I wouldnt judge the entire brand based on just that router. One, im guessing your unit is 15-20 years old. That tool was discontinued from production 10-12 years ago, so its atleast that old. Two, i dont remember it having too many of the latest design features. Dust collection was marginal compared to the newer hood designs for their current routers. I dont remember its accessories playing nicely with the guide rail system etc. Finally, i think your observations are accurate and i agree with them. It is a quality router, but nothing special compared to the biggest makita/comparable. My last point i will say about the OF2000 is that it was always a less expensive router offered by Festool, and i can speculate that it was tailored more towards the carpentry/construction community. Going way way back, i think it was maybe 50% less expensive than the OF2200, and even less expensive than the OF1400(which is a less powerful motor).

If you are interested in exploring whether festool is 'worth it', then i would go play around with an OF2200, domino(500 or 700), and a sander. The OF2200 is really expensive--especially when you combine the accessory kit, which i definitely think you should--but it is 100% the best router ive used. The only way it could get better is if they included an LED light onto the workpiece. My router is years old, so this very well could have been added already. The slight offset of the handles to the base adds a natural but subtle side pressure for using the edge guide accessory. The quick connect/disconnect base plates are very handy for specific exercises. The ratcheting collet with one wrench is another nice feature. Some other brands may have caught up, but a decade ago that router really impressed the heck out of me. It still does when i use it.