Thread: Milling machine as a mortiser

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    A knee mill in a wood shop would quickly have the slides and threads gummed up with a goo from the way oil and sawdust mixing together. The spindle speed is slow for cutting wood.
    Not entirely true. I have had a knee mill in my shop for 30 years with no noticeable wear on the ways. As long as the way-wipes are in decent condition you shouldn’t have any problems. I do most of my wood “milling” in the 700-1200 RPM range. It cuts just fine.

My bench has 30+ mortise & tenons, all cut on the mill. (see very old pics) I think a dedicated mortiser would be much faster, but mortise & tenons are certainly doable on the mill.

A conventional knee mill, if you know its capabilities, is very handy in a wood shop.
    JMO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Blog Entries
    I’ve occasionally used the mill for round end mortises, using dedicated machinery works a lot faster.

If you have good dust collection and your mill is oiled routinely, it’s fine. I have a few machines with dovetail ways, and they all require constant oiling to keep the ways clean.

You can also get way covers to minimize the issue.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.