View Poll Results: Would you borrow a tool from someone?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure - why not?

9 12.68%
  • Never. If I needed something, I'd buy or rent it.

10 14.08%
  • Maybe. Depends on the person and the tool.

52 73.24%

Thread: Would you - borrow a tool?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I've loaned tools to people I know and borrowed tools as well. I always return the tool in as good or better condition that it was when I received it. If I purchased any blades, bits or accessories for the tool, they go home with the tool. I have always experienced the same care from people who have borrowed any of my tools.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I lend and borrow tools with people I trust who trust me to take care of them. A fairly short list. It allows us access to a wider range of stuff with a smaller investment. My son has heavy gear for timber work and rigging, while he can call on me for cabinetry tools. I go back and forth with my colleague up the road and the shop I used to work for, especially for shaper cutters. I lent my car mechanic a router bit when he was doing a floor nosing and what do you know, he came up a few days later and opened up the car at no charge after my wife lost her key.

If I have to borrow a specific tool twice I get my own. I would be very chary of lending out something hard to replace or essential to a time-sensitive project. There's a reason why farmers all have their own mowers, tedders and balers- haying waits for no man.

I have loaned tools to relatives with the understanding, if you break it, you have bought it. Works out good so far. Joe

It would be highly unusual for me to need to borrow a tool from someone else since in my very small circle, I'm the one with the tools. I have borrowed a tall extension ladder once from a neighbor who is a contractor when he was working next door, but I only had to move it about 20 feet. (Needed to replace a second floor bathroom exhaust vent and couldn't reach with my own ladder) But otherwise, I really cannot remember ever borrowing a tool from a friend. I guess that my borrowing/testing a few Festool products from "Uncle Bob" back in the day is a different kind of thing.

I can count on less than one hand the number of people that I would lend a tool, just to level set.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...