Thread: Juicing a soft Arkansas stone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you want to give this a roll and you don't have lapidary graded alumina... Shake some Shapton fine stone lapping compound on a soft Ark and give it a whirl. Oil works great. Water seems to cut faster, but it produces a very even, dull mat finish with this compound. It behaves like it has some sort of cleaner mixed in, which slightly etches the steel. Marketing ad copy says ~4000 grit (JIS.). I had some from a project years ago and it works quick but leaves a finish like you'd expect from that grit level. Don't like it? Scrub it off with soap and hot water, and off you go.

I suppose if you were really curious, you could scrape a blob of mud off a fine grit water stone and smear it on a soft Ark and give it a whirl. I bet you would be surprised by how nice it works. I certainly was.

Interestingly, assuming soft Arks that don't throw sand, they behave more like a substrate than the stone they once were. Each alumina grit produces an incrementally finer finish that tracks the abrasive more than the soft Ark. So, for example, the 1-3 micron polish leaves a much finer finish than I ever got with the soft Ark alone.

Unfortunately, my phone doesn't take the sort of pictures which are useful for showing the differences in finish, but they are significant. I personally doubted that 1-3 micron alumina would do anything useful on a soft Ark, but it really does. I don't own any water stones, but the finish it leaves is finer than a DMT ultra fine (3-micron).

Going through the grits is quick as well. None of them took more than 2-dozen strokes on a 20-degree full flat bevel. Teasing off the wire edge is fast and painless on the fine polish treated ark. That surprised me, as with untreated stones, I could get there, but it was ssslllooooowwww.

Garrett Hack, diamond paste-on-stone:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/proj...-hone-a-chisel

Garrett Hack portfolio:

https://www.garretthack.com/

Seems to have mastered sharpening woodworking tools.
    Last edited by Charles Edward; 04-21-2024 at 6:05 AM.

I had not seen that before, but there is nothing new in the world. So he uses diamond paste on a fine India stone, with the explanation that his fine India is glazed... Sounds familiar. A pound of 500 grit Silicon Carbide costs less than a 5-gram tube of diamond paste.

I bet he would love a decent soft Ark charged with diamond in the 1-2 micron range.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I had not seen that before, but there is nothing new in the world. So he uses diamond paste on a fine India stone, with the explanation that his fine India is glazed... Sounds familiar. A pound of 500 grit Silicon Carbide costs less than a 5-gram tube of diamond paste.

I bet he would love a decent soft Ark charged with diamond in the 1-2 micron range.
    I suspect he's happy with his routine and what it does for him in the shop.