Thread: Veritas scrub plane issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Veritas scrub plane issue

In my locality, I have access mainly to very rough sawn construction lumber. The underlying stock is good, however, and well worth the trouble of dimensioning. I do this by hand, partly out of choice ... but, if it were not out of choice, I would be in the same place out of necessity.

My Veritas scrub plane has served me well as first line of attack. But it's now playing up.

The blade is slipping back in use. I set the plane for a suitable cut but after a couple of passes it has receded into the body of the plane and is no longer making chips or shavings. The cap iron is correctly in place. The thumb wheel/screw has no further adjustment and is hand tight. The grub screws to prevent lateral movement are not loose. I haven't dropped the plane or had any other mishap. I have been careful not to overtighten things and have always adjusted only by hand ... I'm seventy, never was a muscle man, and have the first twinges of arthritis in my hands ... I don't think overtightening or any similar abuse is the cause of the problem.

I can get the plane to work by shimming one or other of the cap iron contact points. But I shouldn't need to do that.

Most woodworking problems I encounter can be attributed to 'user malfunction' and I'm sure this must be the same. But I'd appreciate ideas and advice.
    Last edited by David Storer; 04-18-2024 at 7:46 AM. Reason: Typo