Thread: Stanley Bailey #7 Made in England plane

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I think I will pass on the plane but will take another look at it tomorrow if it is still there but will be much more informed from all your comments. Thank You for sharing your input.
    Bob V.
    The longer it sits the more it means no one else wanted to meet the price or even make an offer.

The longer it sits, the more likely someone might be to take a lowball price.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My question is what is it going to cost you if you wish to buy a #7 that is ready to go. How long are you willing to wait to get a #7? And at what is the cost you are willing pay? From experience, Stanley planes made in England are usually a very good planes. My guess is that they don't have a clue and that since it is not complete, they will take less. At $50 it is a steel. At $75 you are still in good shape, Even if you purchase a hock iron and chip braker you still have a #7 for around $150 and where are you going to get a good #7 for $150? Any plane will work it the blade is sharp and at the $150 mark you will have the top of the line blade.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Tom makes some great points.

For me every plane purchase was a balance of the price tag, how much the seller might budge, how much work and/or cost of parts were going to go into putting it in good working order.

A few times this thought process also considered the value of the individual parts if they had to be sold separately to make back my money if the plane was a junker.

Turning a sow's ear into a silk purse may not always be possible, but sometimes you can come close or put a good deal of cash back into your purse.

One of my experiences with this was a #5 plane that looked like a piece of junk on ebay. I wanted it for the low style knob and tote. Turned out the pictures were terrible and the plane was actually a pretty good buy for less than a blade set was getting on ebay at the time (less than $17 iirc). That plane is still in my shop and is one of my go to jack planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I live in the Uk
    A number of years ago I attended a 4 day David Charlesworth sharpening and plane tuning course at his workshop in Hartland
    I took an old Woden plane to tune and after tuning was able to make long shavings which were very thin
    If you use Davids method to prepare a plane and replace the blade with a Hock blade you can have the satisfaction of having a tool to be proud
    I would suggest if possible to identify an example of a plane which has the least play in the depth adjuster wheel

Blog Entries
    I would suggest if possible to identify an example of a plane which has the least play in the depth adjuster wheel
    With the Bailey style adjuster that would be a Lie-Nielsen. Being so used to the depth adjuster backlash, play or sloppiness, makes using a plane without any a bit awkward. My plane with the most backlash is maybe three turns on the adjuster.

jtk