Thread: New to me mortiser

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The one thing I can say is that the handle on the work-piece clamp would drive me nuts.
    I would have been happy with the original floppy clamp handle if you had not told me how your Grizzly was made.

It was a fun afternoon project anyway and cost less than $20 for the handwheel and crank handle. I had everything else needed on hand. Had to bore the handle to fit the clamp screw shaft. Did that using the wood lathe and a setup similar to how we use a jam chuck for bowls. Drilled and tapped the hand wheel and clamp screw shaft for two set screws. One going into the clamp screw shaft. Also had to drill and tap for the handwheel handle.

It is much nicer to use now, thanks for the suggestion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I would have been happy with the original floppy clamp handle if you had not told me how your Grizzly was made.

It was a fun afternoon project anyway and cost less than $20 for the handwheel and crank handle. I had everything else needed on hand. Had to bore the handle to fit the clamp screw shaft. Did that using the wood lathe and a setup similar to how we use a jam chuck for bowls. Drilled and tapped the hand wheel and clamp screw shaft for two set screws. One going into the clamp screw shaft. Also had to drill and tap for the handwheel handle.

It is much nicer to use now, thanks for the suggestion.
    I've had a couple of machines with the flop style handle, just not a fan.
    Looks good

I took a chance on getting the correct cone angle with a set of cone sharpeners on Amazon. Free delivery next day and free return if needed. Lucked out and got the correct cone to fit the chisels the mortiser came with.

Looked at the Lee Valley offerings before ordering and saw two different sets listed and was not sure which set would fit my chisels so went with Amazon with the free return.

Sharpened, honed and polished the 1/4" chisel and did a test on Honduran mahogany first then hard maple. Smooth and easy on both woods with the softer mahogany being a little easier than the maple.

The angle of the hone is not critical, IMO. I put them in the drill press and apply the chisel by hand- easy to see what's happening.

I'm not crazy about the vise, I wish it was angled like some other brands. You have to crank it down b/c boards tend to slip. I put sandpaper on it.

I trick I do for aligning the chisel parallel to the fence is use a magnet and metal ruler.

I also periodically polish the outside of the chisels on an 8000 grit water stone.