Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCM T130 bearing change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Yaegle View Post
    Jerry, I have not found a good parts break down with google?
    Tom, have you tried Parts Pronto which is part of the SCM website? You have to register, but that's the parts and manuals part of the company.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I will try there. The T130 does not have a serial # tag on it but will try there with out the #s and see. Thanks

Trying to get the nut off holding the pulley. It is not a hex but round with 4 slots on it. Thinking I need to make a socket or has anyone found one to match?

Flat pin wrench. Doc you have one for a an angle grinder? Or make one from a piece of angle iron and two hardened allen head set screws with nuts to match. You will need to drill the two allen size holes and maybe a large axle clearance hole in between them.
    BilL D.
    This horrible fright version is probably too short for enough leverage to work. It will probably bend as well.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/adjust...IaAkoBEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-06-2024 at 1:04 PM.

If the slots go clear to the rim then a hook wrench might work. If you have the correct size the solid type shown are better then the hinged ones.

Regardless of what type of wrench it may be easier if the wrench is so long the handle is beyond the wheel rim in free air where your hand can grip it all around. If the sheet metal guarding allows that.
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-06-2024 at 1:13 PM.

I have seen sockets for sale that might work. I think they are designed to remove four wheel drive axle nuts. they look like a giant drag link socket with the middle part ground off.
    Actually I made something for a similar job. The rear sprocket set on my bicycle was held on by a slotted nut. I took a short piece of water pipe and hack sawed filed two lugs on one end.
    Be careful I have no idea if it may be left hand thread?
    Bill D.
    Freewheel removal tool for bicycles
    https://www.amazon.com/Mdvora-Coilov...jEALw_wcB&th=1
    4x4 axle nut sockets
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5R95N47...9ocXBfc2hhcmVk
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-06-2024 at 1:24 PM.

Hi Tom,
    Been busy in the shop all day or I would have sent info sooner.
    What you're looking for is a adjustable hook spanner. Here's a link to them at McMaster-Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/ho...ty~adjustable/.

If you don't want to spend the money for a one time tool you can grind a cold chisel to the following profile and use that. You'd put the chisel in the slot and hit it with a ballpein hammer in the direction needed to tighten or loosen the nut. If the nut has a lock washer with a tab, you should replace the lock washer when reassembling the spindle. I've seen washers that were reused break during operation of the machine. Then you'll have a real mess on your hands. You should also put a little grease or oil on the washer when reassembling, it prevents the nut from grabbing the washer and twisting it. Sorry I didn't get this to you earlier.

IMG_1404.jpg IMG_1403.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Bill, I have the sockets for Fords. They are to big, will check auto part to see if there are smaller ones that may work.

Jerry, This nut is up in the spindle pulley so I think I am stuck making or buying a socket. I was not thinking of a washer tab so will check, thanks.

I am not sure if left or right hand thread. Will try squeezing my head up in there to see.

You'll be looking for a axial lock nut socket. You'll have to determine the size nut. They have a numerical designation, smaller nuts have lower numbers and larger nuts have bigger numbers. You can find the dimensions in a Machinists Handbook, metric and sae. If you can't find a Machinists Handbook but can get some dimensions from the nut I can look it up in my copy of the handbook.

How much shaft is sticking out of the nut? You may need a deep well version.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Here is what I am looking at, 100_2638.jpgIt is right hand thread and 1.730 or so inside socket dimension.

Blog Entries
    Wow, it's not common to see a nut requiring a hook spanner to be used inside of something.

They sell sockets for this, but I think they won't work because you need to hold the end of the spindle also. They probably have a tube socket for this application.

Personally, I would try to drive it off with a chisel, then replace it with a similar style nut (high grade with a nylock insert) that has flats instead.

Keep in mid, everything on a relatively modern European machine is going to be in Metric.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 05-07-2024 at 9:44 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I agree with Brian. Get a long enough chisel and you can get that nut off, it's not too far in the cartridge.

Can you remove the spindle cartridge from the machine so you can work standing at the bench?

I doubt if you'll be able to find a hex nut in the proper thread pitch.

Looks like you need something similar to a crowsfoot wrench down there.
    Bill D.

I would buy and use. a pair of cheap needle nose pliers before going for too much hammering. Grind the tips to fit the slots on end. Use a big crescent wrench or pipe clamp to turn the handles.
    Use a drill bit to figure the slot width.
    Bill D

Get a hardened nut that will slip over the shaft. Grind away most of one end to leave two little ears to fit the slots. Use a socket to turn the nut. Fill the socket with paper towel so you are pushing the modified nut firmly onto the slotted fastener.
    I have a lathe so I would get a solid round of iron or a thick washer and drill a clearance hole lengthwise. Then I would drill and tap for two screws to engage the slots. A washer I would weld on some pipe for a top hat look.
    BilL D