Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charcuterie Board Handle

Charcuterie Board Handle

Hello, I have been making some Charcuterie Boards. Now I am thinking of adding some handles. I M not sure what to search for. I am looking for something in black. I have also seen handles shaped like a branch that I liked. If anyone has suggestions with a source, I would appreciate it.
    IMG_1692.jpgIMG_1745.jpg Thanks in advance, Kevin

I put feet under my first two, lifting them off the table by about 1/2". No handle really required. My last one featured a build in handle like a paddle. See below. BTW - Killer grain on those! Where di dyou source the wood?

51922679244_5d80df4d82_k.jpg

40917435513_362c19c292_k.jpg

53657436330_1f04a4f0c8_k.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

3. You can certainly add handles and they can make the boards a bit easier to carry.I have used cupboard handles in the past,there is a vast choice of shapes,styles,colors and sizes.
    They can also make the boards a PITA to store,particularly if you have several.
    You can machine out some nice grips that are part of the board as well,although they can be a little tedious to sand.

Personally I think added handles make things difficult to clean and take up space. I prefer to integrate them into the design. For rectangular designs I will sometimes add brass feet that makes it easy for getting fingers under the board and pick it up.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1440588....google.com%2F

I rout out a hand grip about 3/8 deep on the ends. Then add rubber feet with stainless screws that lift it up another 3/8 or so. Keeps the board from sitting directly on wet counters and tables.

I've used drawer pull hardware for this, either basic or fancy. But agree it makes it harder to store. The routed slots are good too.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Personally I think added handles make things difficult to clean and take up space. I prefer to integrate them into the design. For rectangular designs I will sometimes add brass feet that makes it easy for getting fingers under the board and pick it up.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1440588....google.com%2F

I ordered those from him as well, high quality stuff

Kenin,

Those boards look great. What finish did you put on the make that maple POP! Like others mentioned, I would put feet under those boards. If you go with handle a shiney black or gunstock would look nice. I used the gunstock knobs on a dreser and lingerie chest from tiger maple and cherry.

IMG_1966.jpegThanks for the replies. Rob: I am constantly sniffing around for highly figured woods. I have a guy in Maine that lets me know when he gets Birdseye & Curly in and he puts it aside until I come up in the summer camping.
    Mike: I use walnut oil from the grocery store, same as my turned bowls. Easy for the victim to renew.
    At 74 I say that I am in the fourth quarter, no time to use junk wood!
    I am looking for handles like in the photo. I made a batch of boards and thought I would see how handled ones sell.
    IMG_1716.jpg IMG_1713.jpg

I would consider making the handles removable. Large Charcuterie boards with big handles are difficult to store.

Most charcuterie boards don't have "vertical" handles like serving trays do and that's for the reason that Michael just mentioned. For my friend who has me do CNC engraving for resin fill personalization, he cuts handles on the underside of the "short side edges" that allow them to be picked up and moved even when loaded with goodies. That's done with a router and a core box bit or similar. This method means storing is easy as well as better accommodating various display advantages for particularly beautiful pieces...such as those your show in the OP.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The beauty of Charcuterie boards is they can be anything you want. If you like a handle add a handle. There are all kinds of templates out there for routing them. In reality if the thing is loaded with delicious treats the handle isn't really useful on its own another hand will most likely be needed. But aesthetically if your design looks like a dazed and confused paddle I think you need a handle.

Most ergonomic for me is recessed handles on the underside and felt or rubber feet to give a shadow line, help it sit flat better, and reduce slip and spin.

Another idea that has served well is a sliding dovetail along the width with two runners. That also gives it a little lift so it's easier for fingers to grip the sides.

I didn't mention in in my first post, but the chamfer idea, mentioned by several after me, I use a lot in this application. I almost never apply feet either as I feel it somewhat detracts from the beauty of a well made board. Honestly I think any hardware in this application is overrated and unnecessary. It's not like the board, when in use, is moving a lot LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    I made a batch of boards and thought I would see how handled ones sell.
    Absolute best way to test market. It is very difficult to 'predict'.