Thread: Bottom Mount 30" Drawer slides

Bottom Mount 30" Drawer slides

Hi,

I've spent a whole lot of time trying to figure out what drawer slides would be best for this project but didn't come to any conclusions.

I have a narrow pantry (15" wide but 32" deep). I would like to mount drawer slides to shelves in the cabinet so I can adjust the height of them by just moving shelf pines. I've used Blum 563 undermounts before by just screwing them into the base of the cabinet. That was my plan but looking 30" 569 Blums it seems like they do not have the ability to screw through the bottom.

Would the Blum 295.4 Zinc Plated STANDARD Series Universal Bracket work on the 569?

https://ahturf.com/blum-295-4-zinc-p...ersal-bracket/

If not does anyone have any other suggestions on a bottom mount 30" drawer slide? Side mount is ok too.

Thanks,

Travis

To bottom-mount Blum sidemount slides, you can drill your own holes down through the cabinet member. I did that before Blum started putting those holes in some of their slides.

But I don't see how that does what you want to do. You say you want to be able to adjust the height of the shelves. Bottom-mounting the slide doesn't do that.

I think Travis wants to use standard ¼ shelf pins and a dumb plywood shelf. Which would be adjustable, of course. Then Travis would add bottom mount drawer slides, attaching them to the dumb plywood shelf. That seems to be the plan.

Most undermount or bottom mount slides still attach to the side of the cabinet, and Travis' question is whether the bracket he linked, which would be attached to the dumb plywood shelf, could be used to attach Blum 295.4 bracket and the Blum 569 slides.

I don't have the answer, but all centermount slides attach to a bottom member of the cabinet, like the dumb plywood shelf Travis is describing. That would be my idea, but I don't know anything about Blum slides.
    Regards,

Tom

If Thomas is correct, each shelf is going to take a lot of height - his dumb shelf, the height required by the undermount slide, and the rollout shelf itself. That’s over 2” per shelf.

Instead, you might consider simply fastening the slides directly to the cabinet walls. You’d bore the walls with the columns of 5mm holes commonly used for shelf pins. You’d use “system screws”, which are designed to go into those 5mm holes. You’d space the columns to match the holes in the slides. Blum side mounts are designed to mount like this.
    This approach does require you to use a screwdriver to change the height of a shelf. But how often are you going to be doing this? In my experience, shelf heights get set once, and then they stay there for decades.

My experience matches Jamie’s. I’ve never seen a single adjustable shelf ever get adjusted more than one time.

Thanks for the responses. Drilling holes through the blum slides would be the simple solution. It's odd that they don't have them already from their catalog- "Bottom mount holes on 15", 18" and 21" standard duty"

Thomas is correct I was picturing using dumb plywood shelves. You guys have given me something to think about with the centermount slides and I'll look into the system screws as well.