Thread: Trying to Find Part for my Tripod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    They make heat shrink anti-slip tubing for fishing rods that would probably work.
    This looked promising but the bottom of the page lead me to > https://www.amazon.com/CATTONGUE-GRI...dp/B08CS3Q3Y4/ <

A wedge shape can likely be cut out of that to wrap around to make a continuous seam and do the job.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Years ago there was a replacement set of all the grip rings for a Gitzo tripod on ebay, but it was for a different size tripod than mine. it would seem having spare parts for what is considered a top of the line tripod would be a good practice for loyal customers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I wouldn't be surprised if a place like B&H didn't have some in the back somewhere. I lost a pop pin out of my bought new in 1975 telescopic 17' David White grade rod and couldn't find the odd size online. I was in a surveyors supply in Greensboro, NC and the guy had an assortment in a junk drawer in the back. He found the exact one I needed.

What is the model number of that tripod?

Blog Entries
    What is the model number of that tripod?
    I can't find any model number. All that it says about the model on the top is Gilux Reporter and Made in France.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    How about making something like a wooden napkin ring with carved knurles, split that in two and epoxy glue the two halves on?

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 5.43.35 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 5.46.44 AM.jpg napkin ring snips from the web

This is a little like thinking about how to fix an Estwing hammer with broken and missing plastic rings from the stack of leather. I have my old Estwing that I repaired and several others waiting to be.

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 5.50.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 5.53.37 AM.jpg Leather handle Estwing snips stolen from the web
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-07-2024 at 7:02 AM. Reason: Ideas for wood or leather

If that is metal a company like western roller could mold on new rubber and grind it down to round. They redo planer outfeed rolls.
    Bicycle grip tape, hockey stick tape.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Maurice, I have an Estwing hammer that came to me with loose disks. My first step was to give the leather disks a ample application of oil sold for conditioning baseball gloves. That helped a lot. The leather is now solid enough for use. I have thought about buying some leather cement and making some disks that can be added in without removing the end plate. I have also thought of just adding a piece of wood wedged into the bottom.

Bill, that sounds like a way to get a quality grip ring on the tripod. Most likely getting a company like Western Roller to do this for a one off would be a bit pricey. Right now it has me a little ticked that a roll of tape set me back ~$20. The saving grace on that is there will be close to 20 feet of the tape left over to use on other things.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-07-2024 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    One odd result of this is surely thanks to internet tracking.

This morning one of my regularly visited sites was festooned with advertisements for Gitzo tripods.

Thanks to Google Ads.jpg

Great, after having a tripod for half a century it now needs a new grip ring. The company's thinking seems to be I need a new tripod. That is kind of like a car that gets a flat tire and the service person telling you need a new car.

Surely I won't be around in fifty years, but my tripod might make it if someone takes care of it.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be surprised if a place like B&H didn't have some in the back somewhere.
    Funny you should mention that Tom. Today doing another search with the same terms B&H came up with a couple of hits.

They are listed at over $20+ shipping.

The problem is they list the tripods they fit, but not the size. It may be the last two digits of the numbers; Gitzo D0402.36 Knob Cover for Select Tripods and Gitzo D0402.41 Knob Cover for Select Tripods.

If that is the case, they are likely both too large for my tripod. Tried the chat function but it seemed like it wasn't working.

One of the rings is listed as Special Order. For now my plan is to see if the tape ordered is able to do the job. The heat shrink for fishing rod handles may be acceptable if the tape doesn't work.

jtk

This is the site for Gitzo parts: https://www.gitzospares.com/

Not likely to find what you need for such an old tripod, but worth a look.

20240507_163824.jpg

Jim At some point they switched to the tabs instead of the rubber.

Its amazing how well these are built. I would order the part. If the diameter is off a little either way then you can slice it and glue it on. You will probably have to glue it on either way. At the very least you know its most likely the proper durometer and grip feel you originally had.

Take a look at McMaster Carr, their isn't much that they don't have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    This is the site for Gitzo parts: https://www.gitzospares.com/

Not likely to find what you need for such an old tripod, but worth a look.
    Thanks Keith, they make it hard to find a part for an older model from when instead of numbers they used marketing names.

Found some similar tripods and parts, but still not quite the same. The prices for a simple ring nut is ridiculous in my mind. Guess if you need one, you have to pay the piper.

It looks like they have changed how tripods are made compared to how they made them back in the 1970s. Now their top models are made of carbon fiber instead of steel and aluminum.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

The fishing pole handle heat shrink looked promising but the bottom of the page lead me to > https://www.amazon.com/CATTONGUE-GRI...dp/B08CS3Q3Y4/ <

jtk
    This arrived today and was applied to my grip ring (knob). It took a little quick work with a pair of scissors and all is well.

Looks like it will do fine. The 1"X20' option was ordered instead of 2"X10'. It came as two 1"X10' rolls. They were stuck together.

The material has a softer feel to it than the original, which is nice. It gives a better feel in use.

So now out of 20' there is about 19' and 9" left.

Surely something around here to be found that can use a bit of grip on it.

For me, the CATTONGUE is the Cat's Meow.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This arrived today and was applied to my grip ring (knob). It took a little quick work with a pair of scissors and all is well.

Looks like it will do fine. The 1"X20' option was ordered instead of 2"X10'. It came as two 1"X10' rolls. They were stuck together.

The material has a softer feel to it than the original, which is nice. It gives a better feel in use.

So now out of 20' there is about 19' and 9" left.

Surely something around here to be found that can use a bit of grip on it.

For me, the CATTONGUE is the Cat's Meow.

jtk
    If you vacuum seal it and keep it in a drawer at the right temperature away from sunlight . (20'/3"x 50 years) Should last you the next 4000 years. You can splurge and swap it every 25 though and still be good for 2000 years.