Thread: Sandblasting

Sandblasting

I want to accentuate the texture of the grain by removing some of the summer wood.
    What methods have people used for doing this?
    If sandblasting,what sort of setup and blasting medium?

First item is a huge air compressor. Sandblasting is like cutting the end off the hose and wanting the compressor to keep up. So many people think waiting for a compressor is not a big deal, but when you are too undersized, you have to wait for it to catch up every 20-30 seconds. The rest of the system is based on what size of work you intend to blast. I use the most aggressive abrasive I can find. Stay away from glass beads, they barely touch wood. It's takes a lot of money unless you don't mind taking an hour to blast something.

get a pressure blaster and you can run it low if you use Aluminum Oxide 25 lbs to 50 lbs will do work. Ive done car parts in that pressure range. I use 56 grit which is fairly fine running off a two stage 5Hp 80 gallon tank in a cabinet. Its underpowered for a fair bit of the past work ive done but its more demanding work than what you are asking about.

Try wire wheels of various types before sandblasting.

How do you achieve fine placement of the blast for more precise or delicate work?
    Are the air volumes required still the same.

You can choke down on stuff I used to use vice grips on the hose to not full close, you have adjustments and can make a very fine spray like a tig welder compared to arc.

Quote Originally Posted by STUART Robertson View Post
    How do you achieve fine placement of the blast for more precise or delicate work?
    Are the air volumes required still the same.
    For fine work you cut stencils from blasting frisket.