Thread: Router Plate Recommendations?

Router Plate Recommendations?

I currently have a P-C 690 in my router table, mounted to a standard Rockler aluminum plate. The plate is 8" x 10".

I just received my new Hitachi M12V and Router Raizer (courtesy the recent Amazon deal) and of course it needs a different plate. Rockler sells one for the Hitachi that's 9" x 13"...they don't appear to have an 8" x 10" pre-drilled for the Hitachi.

I'd like to have the option of switching between the two routers (on separate plates) and I'm inclined to try mounting the Hitachi on a blank 8" x 10" plate from Rockler, but I have considerations about getting things exactly centered. If I can use the same size plate as I have now, I won't need to re-cut the recess in the router table. I'd prefer to find an 8" x 10" plate that's pre-drilled for the Hitachi, but haven't found one yet. Of course I could buy two of the larger plates and re-cut the router table, but Rockler doesn't appear to have the larger plate pre-drilled for the P-C 690. (Danged if I do, danged if I don't.) Plus, two plates cost twice as much as one, and I could buy a fair amount of wood with the extra money.

So...anybody know of a source for good 8" x 10" plates pre-drilled for a Hitachi M12V at a reasonable cost? Or any other suggestions for getting a dual-router/one table setup? BTW, I've read a couple of excellent threads here on SMC regarding centering a base plate, so if need be I could try it. I'd need to buy some template bushings first, though. And find some of those screw-in points for marking the holes. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance -

- Vaughn

Vaugn,
    I think I would bite the bullet and go the larger plate. As to pre-drilling, why bother. With the router raiser you are forced to drill, so you might as well drill all. The router raizer plans will help. They have a templete for the M12V which is used for the router raiser hole frilling but you should be able to make do for the plate mounting as well.
    AS for the 690, take off the base plate and use for the drilling.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

John, when do you expect to Woodshopdemos back up and running?
    Vaughn, I have my M12v mounted in woodpeckers "Plungelift" love it!

Woodpecker has aluminum plates available that are drilled for either of your two routers here:

http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html

The Plunge Lift mentioned by Russ is the same plate size as the above plates - clever folks at Woodpeckers!
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Thanks guys. Dave, I had seen the plates at Woodpeck.com, but was hoping to avoid spending $90 per. They sure look like Cadillac router plates, though. What's the saying about never regretting buying more than is needed, but often regretting buying less? Ah well, I have one router working in the table right now, so there's no immediate need to get the Hitachi set up this weekend. Guess I'll keep my eyes open and start saving up my lunch money.

- Vaughn

Vaughn,

We seem to have a knack for buying the same tools as I just took advantage of the M12V deal as well. I'll be interested in hearing about your solutions for mounting. I have the same TS as you if you remember and have been going back and forth deciding between a dedicated router table or a TS extension.
    Last edited by Richard Neel; 02-19-2006 at 8:15 PM.
    "Why do witches burn?" - sir Bedevere
    "Because they're made of wood?" - Villager

Vaughn...I have made several plates for my router table out of a solid sheet of phenolic (free from work) by using the base that came with the router for a template. Getting them accurate will not be that difficult as long as you use a drill press.

I have seen your work and based on your level of expertise & ability to make precise joints... and seein's how you still have that green carpeted shop...Me and Janet Gretzky are bettin you do it perfect on the first try.