Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt

Taking that same Sears bench chisel one could also remove an impacted wisdom tooth, or adjust the carburetor on an old 9N Ford tractor. But who would want to? And who would advise another to do so?

I believe that any instructor, any schlepper of goods, or anyone offering their opinion to the public has a moral responsibilty to that public to promote and suggest remedies to problems or challenges with items and ideas that are founded in common sense, safety, and using them within the confines of their design and engineering intent.
Andy, I do not mean to be contentious, but this is a straw man argument. If I had sharpened my shovel, or some other unlikely tool, then your comparison would have some merit. But, this post was to discuss the efficacy as well as the safety in using such a tool.

I agree with you regarding common sense, safety, etc. For example, using a roughing gouge on a bowl is a very bad idea, as evidenced by how many people snap them off. The geometry is just not there. But this is a different thing, and if it were not safe, I would say so. In the other thread, I stated that this was not really the best way to do it, but the contrast was made that this was extremely dangerous, and it just ain't so. I think we have a responsibility in that direction too. While the geometry of a turning chisel and a bench chisel are different, they aren't that different, and they are doing the same work. One can replace the other. Best tool? Not at all. Okay tool? Certainly. That is my point.

Bill