Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Manhatten bowl results...pic!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Epoxy Manhatten bowl results...pic!

Here a bowl I made a week or so ago. It is spalted hackberry and was way too punky to get a smooth cut. I used my Epoxy Manhatten method and here is the result:

For those who don't know, the epoxy manhatten (aptly named by Bill Stevener!) is System Three epoxy thinned with DNA to the consistency of real maple syrup. You turn your piece to a little thicker than you want and then apply this until the wood will not take anymore. Let it sit 48 hours to cure and then finish turning. The really punky areas will soak up more epoxy and give a visual contrast, as in this case. The white areas are good solid wood that did not drink any up.

I gave the bowl away but IIRC, it is around 5" diameter and 5" tall with wall thickness of 3/8 or so. The epoxy completely penetrated 100% on the punky areas. I know the form is not anything exciting but i was really just experimenting with the wood. The wood was soo punky you could stick an awl 1 1/2" deep into the blank in some areas!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis O. Seebeck
    Here a bowl I made a week or so ago. It is spalted hackberry and was way too punky to get a smooth cut. I used my Epoxy Manhatten method and here is the result:

For those who don't know, the epoxy manhatten (aptly named by Bill Stevener!) is System Three epoxy thinned with DNA to the consistency of real maple syrup
    So, if it is the consistency of fake maple syrup it won't work? It looks great and I guess this means I've got to get some system 3 epoxy...

I was already sold on this idea...and your bowl is a shining example why. Pretty exciting that all the wood I thought might be unworkable now has new life and possibilities. Thanks Curtis!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very nice Curtis. Glad it worked for you. I too used "epoxy manhattan" and it hardend up the wood nicely. But I have a question. What is system 3 epoxy. The stuff I bought is 2 part epoxy with 5 min drying time. Is it a brand name?

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

The bowls looks great Chris.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Very nice Curtis. Glad it worked for you. I too used "epoxy manhattan" and it hardend up the wood nicely. But I have a question. What is system 3 epoxy. The stuff I bought is 2 part epoxy with 5 min drying time. Is it a brand name?

Jim
    Jim,

As already mentioned, System Three is a brand. The only reason I mention a brand name is because that is the only one I have tried this method with. My concern with 5 minute epoxy would be the initial thickness before thinning. How were your results with the 5 minute?
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis O. Seebeck
    Jim,

As already mentioned, System Three is a brand. The only reason I mention a brand name is because that is the only one I have tried this method with. My concern with 5 minute epoxy would be the initial thickness before thinning. How were your results with the 5 minute?
    Curtis the epoxy I used was 3M brand 5 min. epoxy. Initially it was thick, when mixed with the DNA I got it to about milk consistency. A little thinner than what you are describing. My first and only attempt with using it seemed to work OK. It did seem that the area I was concerned with was a little soft but it finished and buffed alright, for me anyway.

Jim

PS: Andy if you quit making maple syrup from elm trees it will taste better

PS: Andy if you quit making maple syrup from elm trees it will taste better
    Which has me thinkin'.....If Ambrosia Maple is given it's wonderful stain because of bug poop....Then....well.....maple syrup is sorta flavored.....um...

Well, nevermind.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Which has me thinkin'.....If Ambrosia Maple is given it's wonderful stain because of bug poop....Then....well.....maple syrup is sorta flavored.....um...

Well, nevermind.
    Back when I was a young lad growing up on the farm, walking 29 miles to school after milking the chickens each morning; we also "sugared". And I gotta tell you, there is no finer ambrosia to be had than to drink this sweet nectar of the gods straight from the tree.
    Only the Blue Roads

That looks great Curtis. The spalting turned out real nice.

I wonder now about using it on the bark of a natural edge. It might help on the tear out next to the bark too. Hmmm

thanks for reminding us about the mixture.

Ernie

Yup...me too Ernie. I'm roughing out that piece of walnut you sent me and that's exactly what I was thinking. Also have a NE Curly Buckeye in the wings that'll fit in with this process. It's a great idea Curtis!!

Almost as great as milkin' Chickens!
    ~john

Curtis the epoxy I used was 3M brand 5 min. epoxy. Initially it was thick, when mixed with the DNA I got it to about milk consistency. A little thinner than what you are describing. My first and only attempt with using it seemed to work OK. It did seem that the area I was concerned with was a little soft but it finished and buffed alright, for me anyway.

Jim
    Jim,

I wonder if the fact that the 5 min epoxy starts out so thick that once you get it thin enough to penetrate, that you have diluted it too much to harden properly? The results I have experienced have been punky wood that was soft enough to stick an awl though going to solid wood that you can not scratch with your fingernail. I have not tried the 5 minute stuff so that may be the issue? I have no idea, just conjecture at this point.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Curtis I just may have thinned it to much. I haven't had a chance to turn anything lately but when I do I'll try to leave the "Epoxy Manhattan" a little thicker. I'll use the epoxy I've got for now anyway.

Jim,

Please be sure to let us know if it performs any better with less thinning. If not, then it may be the 5 min stuff. Together we can all perfect this technique! Thanks.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Another question if you please. Could you use laquer thinner instead of DNA? Just wanted to ask.