Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut frame.

Walnut frame.

Here's a little walnut frame that I finished for my wonderful wife! The picture is of Keuka Lake in Western New York State. It's our favorite place, and where we hope to build a home someday. This frame was my first time trying Watco Danish Oil finish, Natural tint. It was easy to use, and I like the results. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

I really like the simplicity of the frame. It doesn't draw away from the picture, but compliments it. Good work!

Really nice job on the frame, Tom. Nice pic of the lake too. But I particularly like the background of the first pic; Your table saw table with the miter gauge and ZCI in the background. It just struck me as being very apropos. Well done.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

That's a beautiful frame. I like that area of New York.

chris
    chris

You've been a busy little dust maker! Nice frame, nice pic!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Said wonderful wife is a lucky gal! That's a beautiful frame, Tom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job Tom, I want to try my hand at some frames this summer myself. I have fished that part of Kueka many times by the way....
    Jim
    I started out with nothing and I have most of it left

Nice frame!

Nice looking frame, Tom. I like the way the Watco looks on it.

Tom, nice job on the frame. Having grown up on Keuka Lake, I have seen that view of the bluff many times. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Really nice job on the frame, Tom. Nice pic of the lake too. But I particularly like the background of the first pic; Your table saw table with the miter gauge and ZCI in the background. It just struck me as being very apropos. Well done.
    I just logged in after a VERY long day, and I was thrilled to see all the great feedback! It's the best thing that happened all day.

Mark, thanks for the compliment on the picture background. It just happened by accident, but I thought it was kinda cool too. Glad someone else thought so!

Chris, you're right, it is a great spot in NY State! I hope to live there someday (maybe they have a nice nursing home I can use someday)

Jim Knauss, the fishing in Keuka is great! The smallmouth bass and perch fishing is my favorite! I can taste them now.... !

John, I liked using the Watco. It went on smooth, and gave the wood a great luster. The walnut was very open grained, and I am looking forward to using it on some hard maple. Seems like a nice finish!

Ron, good to hear from you again! I was in Lima yesterday after getting my truck inspected at Genesee Dodge. Great little town!

Thanks to everyone else for the kind comments! Your responses made my crummy day a whole lot brighter!!!

Tom,
    Really like the simplicity of the frame. Good application for that picture. We took our first trip to the Finger Lakes last year on our way to Niagara Falls and spent the day with friends on Keuka Lake. Beautiful area and a neat reminder of our trip.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Tom---Really nice frame, compliments the picture well. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for this project, but I do have one bit of advice, as one who has done a fair amount of framing. One generally wants to avoid having a mat and frame of the same or very similar size (width). The frame is fine, but on your next one, I would use a larger mat. When frame and mat are the same width, they fight each other for recognition. A wider mat makes it easier for the eye to integrate the picture mat, and frame.

Again, I hesitated to say this, but thought it might be useful to know, for you or anyone else who might be thinking of such a project. For an 8 x 10 to 11 x 14 picture, about a three inch mat is a good place to start.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Tom---Really nice frame, compliments the picture well. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for this project, but I do have one bit of advice, as one who has done a fair amount of framing. One generally wants to avoid having a mat and frame of the same or very similar size (width). The frame is fine, but on your next one, I would use a larger mat. When frame and mat are the same width, they fight each other for recognition. A wider mat makes it easier for the eye to integrate the picture mat, and frame.

Again, I hesitated to say this, but thought it might be useful to know, for you or anyone else who might be thinking of such a project. For an 8 x 10 to 11 x 14 picture, about a three inch mat is a good place to start.

Dan
    Dan, thanks so much for the advice on the mat width! I purchased this picture "prematted" as it appears here. I don't have the equipment or ability to mat my own pictures, so I'm at the mercy of the seller. Thankis again for pointing that out. I can see now where a larger mat would have been better proportioned. Hopefully others can gain from you post!

BTW, don't ever worry about dampening my enthusiasm on WW'ing! It's sorta like someone telling you to put a coaster under your beer, the beer still tastes great and no damage is done!!
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 03-02-2006 at 4:54 PM.

Nice analogy Tom! ..I'm definately stealing that one!!

Very nice work on the picture frame! ...looks great.

...Jim in Idaho