Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unisaw Blade Guard - Which One??

Wow, talking about bringing a thread back to life. This thread is three years old.

Another vote for the Excalibur guard. I have used it for 15+ years and would not hink about using my Unisaw without it. Ripping narrow pieces is a pain with it in place. I would rather put up with that than worry about the saw blade. I have never had an accident or a close call.

I use the Biesemeyer splitter and the Shark Guard.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I love reading these old threads, especially when I do not pay attention to the date of the OP and think they are recent events. With that said, I have the Excalibur gaurd and it works great -- on the saw all the time, easy to move in an out to accomodate different cuts and the dust collection is an added bonus.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Ferraro View Post
    I love reading these old threads, especially when I do not pay attention to the date of the OP and think they are recent events. With that said, I have the Excalibur gaurd and it works great -- on the saw all the time, easy to move in an out to accomodate different cuts and the dust collection is an added bonus.

Scot
    I agree, another happy Excalibur user.........Rod.

Someone searched for the thread, obviously, so it is still relevant. Not like digging up a flame war from three years ago and fanning the coals.

Anyway, in that spirit, I'll throw in a vote for the Delta splitter & Bies overarm guard. Like others the splitter is used 100% of the time I can, the guard most of the time. I have some frustration in that there seems to be an inordinate number of times the offcut would end up just the distance from the blade to the plexi box and I have visions of a little chunk bouncing around in there...

The only downside as I see it is price. I hadda buy the guard new, so the guard cost as much as the TS. Ouch.

I just installed a Shark guard on my Uni and really like it. I bought the one that snaps into the Biesemeyer splitter assembly and has the kickback paws. Only knock I have on it is that you have to raise it to do narrow rips but I think this will be an issue with any of them. If you do order the Shark be prepared to wait for it as it takes about 12-weeks. Worth the wait though.

Blog Entries
    I feel so alone . . . I use the MJ splitter. About $20; never had a problem. I also have an overarm guard but as others state, this can not be used for all cuts. I do use it for all cuts where it can be used, same goes for the MJ. I also use Grr-Ripper(s) to control the material before, during and after the cut when appropriate.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a Unisaw w/ a Unifence and Shark-guard.