Thread: Drilling straight holes for Confirmat scews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    David,

Just mark your center, measure 1/2 the width of the guide and clamp a
    straight edge to the cab for the guide to rest on.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

david, the simplest way to do it is as per recommends. you can also make a jig out of three pieces of plywood which basically looks like a !_! to allow you to know exactly where the edges are going to be and then to drill with the drilling guide as recommended by others along the center.

i've used confirmats to build wardrobe closets for my master bedroom as well as a set of kitchen cabinets. i've found that they work best for the end butt joints. i used biscuits on the kitchen cabinets for the shelves after having a couple of blowouts with the confirmats on the wardrobe closets.

if you're interested, i'll take a picture of the modified drill jig that i made to save myself the cost of the zentrix drill jig.

Please forgive the potentially dumb question, but is it THAT hard to drill a straight hole for the Confirmat screws even without guide? My only experience that is remotely close is the Miller Dowel System. I've drilled 700+ guideless holes for the dowels without a single blowout. For those that don't know, the stepped bit for the Miller dowels is around 3 1/2" long.

Again, I've no experience with Confirmat, but is there something special about them that I don't know about? Really, I'm not trying to be a wise guy - I just don't know.

Thanks,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni
    Please forgive the potentially dumb question, but is it THAT hard to drill a straight hole for the Confirmat screws even without guide? My only experience that is remotely close is the Miller Dowel System. I've drilled 700+ guideless holes for the dowels without a single blowout. For those that don't know, the stepped bit for the Miller dowels is around 3 1/2" long.

Again, I've no experience with Confirmat, but is there something special about them that I don't know about? Really, I'm not trying to be a wise guy - I just don't know.

Thanks,
    -joe

Probably for some Joe. I don't have a problem usually

tape a line level to your drill , put a piece of masking tape on the bit at the max depth .

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Did they repeal Murphy's Law?

Looks like we have some nonbelievers in the creek. I just know that if I were drilling those screws, the first 99 would go in perfect, but that last one would come through at a really visible, hard to fix spot that would bug me every time I looked at it. DAMHIKT

I think a simple jig would be well worth the time.