Thread: Which way should i go?

Which way should i go?

I am thinking about buying a molder but there are a few different ways to go about it. One way is to buy a shop fox molder and that is all it does. Two buy a planer/molder machine like a jet 13" or 15". Option three is to buy a shaper and also buy the molding chucks. Each option is quite exspensive but i could easily benifit from either way. I currently have a 15" planer that i could sell for around 400+ if i go the planer/molder setup plus less space the tools take up by having a combo machine. The only thing i don't like about that way is constantly change the blades. All though i do have a set of planer pals that aid in the changing process. If i went with a dedicated planer which is nice since i won't have to change the blades unless i want a different mold but it is alot of money just for the molder. If i went with the shaper i could benifit from the shaper when i make cabinet doors and things like that but i think this might be the most expensive way since i would have to buy a bunch of bits plus the molder chucks. Also i have a router table that has worked since i only do a kitchen cabinets about 2-3 times a year if that. I keep talking my self into a different setup. I would appreciate your comments and if you have any of these setups please let me know the pros and cons of your setup. Thanks Josh

Josh

I bought a Wiliams and Hussey moulder a few years ago. It is on the spendy side however it is worth the investment. I have a few moulding heads for the shaper. The problem there is that you need good and consistant bottom pressure. I used a power feed for the bottom pressure and for feeding however you still need more opposing force. With the W&H the bed of the machine is stationary and your feed is on top with the cutter head. You end up with more cosistant results. I also have a circle cutting jig and varable speed feed motor. These were great additions to a great machine. I can say that this machine has paid for itself several times over. I have run jobs as large as 2500 feet without a problem. In our area I have found a niche for people who want millwork in species usually not available from other places as well as a real beefy look to the moulding. Not the 1/2" stuff from the box. People have made jigs to make blade change quicker. I hope that helps.

Shaper -v- Molder??
    They are different machines and capable of very different operations. Some overlap yah but they are different. I'm just guessing here but I suspect the planer will do more than the shaper - EXCEPT for end grain.

Planer blades are less prolific in the market than shaper cutters but you can make 'em yourself if you have access to a miller and a grinder.

Shapers are really handy for cabinetry and casework.

The WH is a sweet little tool. I've seen it do some really cool things some of which I don't think could have been done with a heavier machine.

Think of larger flat surfaces that would stand higher than the shaper spindles will reach, or large flat surfaces that describe an arch line you might install over a doorway. That's a planer's job. The latter example is impossible to do on a shaper.

Is there a big difference between the shop fox molder and the william and hussy molder? There is a huge difference in price. Thanks Josh

Check out woodmaster tools.

Multi-machine Planer, moulder, multi gang saw and drum sander. USA made, 5 year warranty and great reviews. Available up to 25 inches wide. The 718 18 inch is acutally resonable for what you get with it.

I don't have one but it appears to be a very easy switch from planer to moulder.

I have a packet of info from them on their drum sander and multi-machine.

I got weak and bought a new AR style rifle so my shop is new tooless for a bit.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"