Thread: Delta OSS vs Jet OSS?

Question Delta OSS vs Jet OSS?

Jet is having a sale on their OSS right now, so I have to make a decision in the next couple of days.

I am a Shaker guy, and there are lots of opportunities to make curved bases, with 2 and a half to 3 inch curves. After doing my last bench, I decided I need a spindle sander.

If anyone has either of these OSS's, I would appreciate a critique.

Thanks,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

I will start by saying I own the Jet.

Awhile back I was in the spot you are and was wanting to buy a OSS. I started off with the Rigid and promptly returned it very dissatisfied.

I started researching and the Delta was high on my list for quite sometime until it came time to buy. Luckily, I have a couple of stores in town that carry both. I spent some time in the store looking at both, the Jet is hands above better.

1) Bigger motor (Should mean less drag and longer life as it doesn't have to work as hard)
    2) Tilting top (Not needed all the time, but when you do it is awesome)
    3) Better fit and finish (Smooth finished top vs. rough top on Delta)
    4) Better selection of sizes (goes from 1/4 to 3") -- this is somewhat debateable.
    5) Better DC
    6) Slower speed produces a nicer finish

Negatives for the Jet
    1) Costs $100 more
    2) Have to buy the 3" kit
    3) Skips the 1" size for some reason
    4) Bigger top
    5) More places cary the Delta spindles (Lowes)

I have not needed the 3" so I have not bought it yet. When I do the cost factor adjust another $60. I do wish it had the 1" spindle, but the tilting top is awesome.

One thing I would consider if you have the space is the Grizzly Floor model, it will run you a couple hundred more but it is very stout machine. I didn't think I had the space at the time, but now if I was to do over again I would have gone that route. If your limit is the $300 or space, the Jet is IMHO a far better unit.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I have the Delta BOSS. It does what it's supposed to do, but if I was buying today I'd get the JET. In addition to the other comments, I think you get a bit more spindle 'travel' with the JET...and there are times when another 1/4" of height would help me out.

KC

This will sound like a half repeat of KC's post...I have the BOSS, like it and use it. But if I were buying today, it would be the Jet because of the tilting table. There have been a number of times that I could have used that feature for a project; one example is the NYW Adirondack chairs. The back support is a compound cut with a 27º angle on a curve. I would have liked to smooth that out with the OSS without having to free-hand it. Otherwise, both machines meet my requirement for a cast iron table and a nice assortment of spindle sizes, with the Jet having an advantage there, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

markus shaffer Guest
    I just got the Jet a couple weeks ago. I've used it twice so far and was very happy with it's performance. I think Scott really put everything about this machine into his response. For the money, I feel like I got a good tool. I'm curious what makes the Clayton sanders worth the money that they cost. Perhaps someone can chime in here regarding the Clayton machines. I'm not one to pinch pennies when it comes to tools, but I think some tools are worth spending more on becuase you simply use them more. If you've got the room and the budget allows, perhaps you should consider the Grizzley or some other stand alone machine. For me, I realized that an oscillating spindle sander isn't a tool that I'll be using so much that it would be worthwhile for me to buy the most expensive one out there. I posted awhile back about this and got a good number of responses. There are several people who give praise to the Delta. I think the Jet while still a benchtop tool is just a bigger and more stout machine. Hope this helps with your decision.

-Markus

For what it's worth, Wood Magazine recently gave the Ryobi OSS a very good review. I don't own the Ryobi OSS, but I thought I would throw this in just to be informative. I guess it depends on how much and what type of use the machine will get...............the Ryobi may not be as heavy duty for the long haul, but you can pick it up for under $100.00 at "Depot". Just an idea for the budget minded........of which my wife says I am not a member! Imagine that..............SHE'S the one who just bought a Mini Lathe!

There has been a couple of mentions that the Jet tilts and the BOSS doesn't. Did I just imagine that when Norm built the Adirondack Love Seat, his BOSS tilted. Isn't that the scene that he cautioned to only sand directly behind the spindle to get the correct angle?

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    There has been a couple of mentions that the Jet tilts and the BOSS doesn't. Did I just imagine that when Norm built the Adirondack Love Seat, his BOSS tilted. Isn't that the scene that he cautioned to only sand directly behind the spindle to get the correct angle?
    Norm has a floor model OSS in the NYW...I think it may be a Sunhill from the color. They never have shown it with any form of identificaiton on it. That tool does have a tilting table on it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I never took that much notice. I guess I just surmised that it was Delta since I know that Porter-Cable doesn't make one.

George

Martin,

I have the Delta BOSS and it does as advertised. I can't really compare to the JET, but have been happy with the unit. It I had more cash I would go for a Clayton benchtop, and it I had room a floor model (Jet , if money and room a Clayton). I believe Norm's is a Sunhill. Another option might be the Porter Cable protable. It fits in the Porter Cable or other router table and gives you some additional capability. Finally, when hooked to a vac system, dust collection on the BOSS is excellent.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Jet is having a sale on their OSS right now, so I have to make a decision in the next couple of days.

I am a Shaker guy, and there are lots of opportunities to make curved bases, with 2 and a half to 3 inch curves. After doing my last bench, I decided I need a spindle sander.

If anyone has either of these OSS's, I would appreciate a critique.

Thanks,
    Martin, I have the Delta Boss and it works great. It is very smooth and quiet and you almost can't tell it's running. The dust collection is excellent with the built in fan but even better when hooked up to a DC. The cast iron table is flat and square to the spindle. I've tried to stall it but I can't, even with very heavy pressure with hard wood. It came with 5 spindle sizes from 3/4" to 3". I do think you get more with the Jet and of course you pay more. Now if I can only find out where to buy the sandpaper for it. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Gloat

The Lowes near me clearanced the BOSS. I bought the last one they had Monday and got another 10% off $144. I don't know if there will be a change in the BOSS or if Lowes just wasn't selling enough of them. They may also be bringing in another line. They replaces the Makia 1013 scms with the Hitachi.

Happy hunting.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Hi,

I purchased the BOSS and am very sastified with it. What made my mind up for it over the Jet was the weight. I knew that when not in use I would store it on the floor under a workbench, lifting the 45 pound BOSS was going to be a lot easier on my back than the 85 pound Jet.

Craig Carlson
    Sebastopol, Ca.