Thread: Please show me your workbench(es)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    @ Bruce:
    Very solid – impressive. Have you ever wished you would have built a thicker top?

Regards,

Christian
    Christian, The maple top is the only thing that I didn’t build. When I was pricing out the maple, I discovered that I could buy the pre-fabricated top for a little more than half of what it would’ve cost me to purchase the lumber. Do I wish it were thicker? Sure, for appearances only. For functionality, the 1¾” maple is plenty strong enough. I’ve had the very heavy machinist vise on the right end from day one without any sagging.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

@ Jeff;
    Cool vise. Did you build it or buy it?
    I bought this one. I assume it to be very old but I don't know the history. Building one would be simple and if I ever need another I will build one. Plus it is dirt cheap. If you interested let me know and I will put up some photos of the vise. I really like my vise.

@ Jay:
    Once again – too big and too nice
    How did you laminate the top?
    The skirts look great. The curve gives a nice touch.

Christian

I used the marble floor in our living room -- it is dead flat having been laid with levels on each tile.

I put down an extra piece of MDF, then put down the first two pieces, one was cut exactly, the other was a bit oversize. Then I piled anything and everything that I had that weighed anything on top of it, 5 gallon pails of joint compound, left over bricks from the yard, etc. I laid out the pattern for the dog holes and used drywall screws to tighten everything up. Once it was dry I used a router and a flush cut bit to trim the edge. Then I did the whole thing all over again for the next layer. Skirt was put on with Miller dowels.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    If you interested let me know and I will put up some photos of the vise. I really like my vise.
    Jeff, I'd appreciate more pics of the vise. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the clarification, Bruce. If I understood the construction of you bench correctly, the top is supported by the carcass apart from the overhangs on the left and on the right. That certainly provides stability.

Jay, thanks for the detailed explanation. How many screws did you invest in the top?

Have a nice day,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

I am new to this thread. Just watching now. I made my bench by glueing a 1'' and two 3/4 sheets of MDF and thick heavy oak trim. I plan to build a lower assembly table and will look at a IKEA top http://www.ikea.com price for a 96 x 25 x 1 1/8 solid Beech is $79.00 a 73 x 39 x 1 1/8 $129. Other sizes available.

a simple bench

nothing fancy, single Record vise. 30 x 60 inch lam maple top. weighs 200#. bed bolts hold stringers to legs. you can't likely see the row of dog holes down the front edge. "tail vise" when (rarely) needed consists of LV screw/benchdog. ten years old. one of these days.....maybe something nicer but this has been adequate for hand tool work.

good for planing and clamping. bench in background upper left is similar, but just bolted together and features cruddy formica top. used for gluing and finishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Bell; 05-28-2006 at 11:10 AM.

Isn't there anyone out there who made their bench from leftover framing lumber and plywood (of various thicknesses)? My benches are all ripped down 2 x 12 and 2 x 10 legs, stetchers and braces with a couple of layers of CDX ply. A six foot level generally sits flat but occasionally up an eigth in some places. Assembled with drywall screws so the top sheets are replaceable and MAYBE the edges get rounded over with the ROS. Ignorance is bliss to me. I would be afraid to work on some of the benches shown, they are nicer than my dining room table! By the way, I have not finished building the dining room never mind the table. I can't be the only cave man, the rest of you are just hiding. Wish I had some pics.

Thanks for the kind comments. Unfortunately Steve, the plans came from my own peabrain and are only scratched out on a legal pad. I've got to learn to use one of the CAD programs. I used the Leigh FMT for most of the joinery. Did I say I love my Leigh FMT?

Thanks again,
    Carl

I'm glad this thread was started, as I'm realizing how badly I could use a good solid workbench. I've considered building one by using the laminated top technique, but I think I would be challenged by getting the durned thing flat. I understand that a jointer plan (LN 7?) would be the tool for the job. Any other methods used for flatening the top? Am I better off buying a top (ala LV) or perhaps using 3 layers of MDF?

- John