Hi All.

I am TRYING to install new base trim and crown molding in our house. We have taken on a major remodel on this house, and now I am running into more problems. At one time one whole floor was gutted, all wall coverings removed, and all flooring removed back to original sub-floor. At this time we had the original boiler removed along with all of the base board radiators. So the living room, dining room and KITCHEN are stripped clean!

The house is an all brick home, and a tri-level. It was built in 1950, give or take a year. I believe that the house was built out of block, and then bricked on the exterior. It has never had any type of trim, or wood work installed. All of the window and door openings are all plastered with a rolled edge. Seemed odd at the time of purchase, but thought maybe the guy that built it did not like staining trim work???

Now for the dilemma, I think the drywall was glued? to the block walls. Is this possible? And how in the world do I nail the trim to the walls? I just attempted to install the base board, and to shoot a 2" finish nail in to hold it. But the nail only went into the wall about 1/2" and stopped, jamming the gun.

Anyone have any solutions for me? Is this a common construction of older brick homes?

Thanks!

Jim