Thread: Rules of the road?

Rules of the road?

Does anyone know what, if any, are the ramifications of wood sitting on the parkway that has been cut down by a governmental tree cutting crew? We had a crew come through our area about 6 weeks ago. They cut up the tree trunks into fairly mangable sizes and left them on the parkway all up and down the road. Since then, I'll notice a car pull up, take a chunk, and drive away. I assume these people are turners (my sick brain).

In any event, it is parkway of private properties in the county (unincorporated). The county can't tell me anything. I have not partaken in the feast because I would not want to be stealing something that's not mine, but I sure would like some of that wood!

Does this happen near you?

Blog Entries
    Rich, it might be a good idea to check with the State police or even the Forestry service maybe they have domain there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Somewhere I read a story about a guy that put an old fridge on his curb with a sign that read "Free Fridge". It sat for a week with no takers so he changed the sign to read "Fridge $50". The next night someone stole it.

I think most people have come to believe that "free" is usually too good to be true. But around here when they leave wood sitting after trimming for utilities or whatever I consider it free and seldom drive by without at least stopping to look it over, if not loading some up. If it's in front of someone's house I usually ring the doorbell and ask what's up with the wood. 99.9% of the time they're glad to have me take it.

I don't think you'd ever have to stand before the judge for taking it. Worst thing would be someone telling you to leave it alone.

I have collected wood from along the road that was cut by "the state"...once even some great cherry with Dominic Grecco when a local road was being widened. If it's clearly the result of right-of-way clearing and not clearly on private property, I don't see any issue with a little collection. And if it's not clear, ask the homeowner if there is a residence coincident with the wood. You can always inquire with the local police department, too...no harm in asking if you are not sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    Somewhere I read a story about a guy that put an old fridge on his curb with a sign that read "Free Fridge". It sat for a week with no takers so he changed the sign to read "Fridge $50". The next night someone stole it.

I think most people have come to believe that "free" is usually too good to be true. But around here when they leave wood sitting after trimming for utilities or whatever I consider it free and seldom drive by without at least stopping to look it over, if not loading some up. If it's in front of someone's house I usually ring the doorbell and ask what's up with the wood. 99.9% of the time they're glad to have me take it.

I don't think you'd ever have to stand before the judge for taking it. Worst thing would be someone telling you to leave it alone.
    Utah isn't Chicago. Call your alderman or another influential politician.
    Last edited by Frank Fusco; 10-29-2006 at 6:48 PM.

Here in MI -- wood belongs to the property owner who owns the frontage, even if it's on state right of way. If it's along a highway (it's illegal to stop anyway w/o an emergency).. the state might own the land, they might not, but basically it's property own who owns the frontage.

I always go ask, keep some pens handy to hand back or offer to turn a bowl out of the material for them.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Rich,
    It's alway easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Load up the truck!
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

I agree with Michael. In Ohio your survey is to the center of the roadway that borders your property. You own any wood that is cut off of the rightaway. Around here they always leave anything that is sizeable unless you catch them and tell them to take the mess away.
    Chuck

Here in beautiful downtown Yorktown, VA our esteemed National Park Service owns significant chunks of forested land. I drive the Colonial Parkway (part of the NPS) from Williamsburg to Yorktown daily and have had my eye on the turning blank potential of several large Hackberry trees blown down by Ernesto right next to the road. Today I called NPS maintenance and law enforcement to see if I could stop long enough to load a couple of the pieces already cut and was told in no uncertain terns that although Asplund Tree service was under contract to the NPS to remove the trees (and presumably take to the county land fill), the wood was not available to the public and I would be ticketed if I stopped and removed so much as a twig. I love the way my government protects my natural resources from me. At least in some parks you can get a firewood permit.

Ownership ?

Up here in the hinterlands of New York State, the Town/City/County/State owns a specific distance from the center of the road on either side. I would be very hesitant to stop on a Parkway just to scarf some wood. A few calls to the local Highway Dept or whichever agency is responsible for the road is in order. Even if it just gets you the name of the tree company that did the work. Call them to see if they have wood available-it usually costs them to take it to a landfill. You might be surprised what a little good will (like a pen or bowl as mentioned above) can get you.

Good Luck,
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

It's a shame, but these days with so many lawsuits going on, if you ask somebody they will always say no. If they say you can take it and you drop a stump and crush your pinky toe, you can sue for millions and probably win. Don't ask. Just take it.

Check your local military base, they usually have downed trees in training areas that need to be cleaned up and are happy to get rid of them. They will probably have an area listed for firewood an all you would need is a permit.

Another world

It would not be possible to explain a problem like this to anyone here in the Amazon. Here there are no road crews or river crews and if you want to get thru street or trail or down a river with a downed tree you move it your self or head back.