Thread: Delta 36-680 or Jet 708304K ?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Keith,

Welcome... I was in your same situation about 4 months ago, and I decided to get the Dela 36-680 saw. I think it's a great saw for someone who wants a quality piece of equipment, that will perform well, and be usable for many years. The T2, while not a Biese, is a very good fence, and allows cuts of 30" to the right of the blade. I found it to be smooth, accurate and reliable. I got the saw on sale at Amazon, free delivery, for $429.

I upraded to the Incra 100SE miter gauge, which is very accruate and a great addition to your "cutting system". $160 (I also have the Incra Miter Express).

I replaced the standard pulleys with machined ones and installed a Link-Belt, and the saw is very smooth with little vibration. $26 I also made my own extension table...melamine board, screws, about $15.

As far as the dust control situation, the contractor saw can be easily adapted to very good control..:http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/sawdust.html (I have a bottom plate coming from Amazon...$7.93 and a sheet of MDF board.)

Most all woodworkers have some kind of "outfeed" table behind their saw anyway, so the "motor hanging off the back" is not that big of a problem, IMO. My table is from Sears, $39 and a sheet of melamine from HD $11 (I believe).

The blade in you saw is one of the most important, and I have the Tenryu 40T combo blade, and a Forrest WWII thin kerf waiting to pick up. The Forrest WWII, with the dampener, on a recent sale at Amazon was $88.

I have a Rigid Hurcu-Lift Plus mobile stand I'm assembling for the table saw, and one for the outfeed table, from HD on sale $29.

By the time you add it all up, you are still within your budget, but with an upgraded, expanded "cutting station", with componants you can use later with a different saw, and all are brand new with warranty!

Whichever route you chose to go, good luck and enjoy!

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 06-19-2006 at 1:37 PM.