Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended tire pressure?

Asking a tire pressure question is like asking if you need to put bacteria in your septic tank to work. Not only will you get a jillion differrent opinions for 'regular' folks, you could probably ask 27 septic guys and get 27 different answers.

I run a pound or two under the max printed on the tire. I've convinced myself that I get better life outta the tires this way. I also NEVER rotate the tires. I consitently get MUCH longer life (mileage) and much more even treadwear than my father-in-law, who runs the recommended pressure because he wants the 'softer' ride.

KC

I underinflation is the worse thing you can subject your tires to, many also reccomend running in the upper end of the psi they're rated for as generally the tire runs cooler.
    I also believe that most if not all tires seem to leak slightly, running in the upper psi range will help.
    Especailly if you not checking tire pressure weekly, which I do....kinda

Running like this should not bluge your tires out or loose traction, not with todays tire configerations.
    According to my tire guy who runs a performance wheel service anyway.
    fwiw.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms
    Doing a little vehicle upkeep and got to wondering. The recommended tire pressure on the door post is 30 psi front and back. The Max recommended is 44 psi. Vehicle is 2001 Ranger supercab 4.0L 4X4 automatic. Tires are 245 75R 16 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. I think running higher tire pressures should yield better mileage, probably ride rougher. Any downside to running 44 psi except for the ride?
    Are those stock issue P metric's or have you put LT (light truck) tires on them? If you're running the normal issue tires then run it at the recommended psi, maybe slightly higher if towing. If you eventually put LT tires on then you'll probably run higher psi with normal loads and you can crank it up quite a bit when you're carrying a load. My Suburban came with p metric's and the factory 32psi worked well. When it was time for new tires I went with the same size but put LT's on and 45 psi became the recommended pressure (tire dealer and GMC dealer agreed) with up to 80 psi for carrying load. Now the load rating of my Suburban (99) is fairly anhemic so I have no need to go with 80 psi (which would be more appropriate on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton carrying a large load) but I will go with 50 psi when towing the boat (works real well) and 60 if I'm carrying a max load in the back (bricks, concrete sacks). IIRC 1/2 ton pickups come stock with P metric's and 3/4 and 1 ton trucks come stock with LT tires.

My tires say 44 lbs max so I fill them up to 35, seems to work O.K.
    I worked in a dealership as a mechanic trainee. One day i worked on a car that had a rattle. Come to find out there was a used rivet inside the a heater duct ?. After I finished with that I took the car for a ride to see if there was any other noise but noticed how hard the car was riding. Came back and checked the pressure and it was about 95psi ,a couple were over 100. I don't know how they didn't blow especially in Michigan where our roads look like war zones. I qiuckly made a note on the work order for the lady to use a tire gauge instead of doing it by eye.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges