Thread: Cool old iron stuff

Cool old iron stuff

I was over at a friends shop today. He wanted me to turn some mahogany spindles for him, but I can't do it cause I don't have the right setup - just a 4" face plate.

Anyway he says he has a bunch of lathe faceplates & stuff & I should come up & look at them. He used to work in maintenance at a school & when they closed down the woodshop, a few years back, he picked up a few items.

He's got a Huge Rockwell scroll saw that works I think it's 20 maybe 24"
    He's got a "J Line" Broadhead Garrett Lathe that is huge -could probably turn an 18" or better bowl - From the old WW'ing machines site these were apparantly made by Yates American.

He's got a big Delta /Rockwell disk & belt sander
    & a Boice Crane Oscillating spindle sander - he got this running but he needs to find the mandrels & sanding sleeve parts for it - might have to get some made up from a machine shop cause the company that was supplying Boice Crane parts went under a while back..

He's got a spur center for the lathe & the only thing that seems "wrong" is that it is a 3 phase motor. He's going to order a 1 HP 220 single phase & we're going to try & get it running. Then I'll have someplace to go when I need to turn bigger bowls
    Big Old Iron is so COOL!
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention - He got all this stuff for FREE!
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Hi Tom,

Wow, it sounds like he got quite a deal. But before he changes out the three phase motor, He might want to give these guys a call. They have all the stuff to convert it to a very nice variable speed lathe.

http://www.dealerselectric.com/

I haven't dealt with them myself. But I have heard good things about them from other woodturners.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Peebles
    Hi Tom,

Wow, it sounds like he got quite a deal. But before he changes out the three phase motor, He might want to give these guys a call. They have all the stuff to convert it to a very nice variable speed lathe.
    I agree with Dave...suggest to him that in lieu of replacing that motor, convert it to a VFD which will run quite nicely on 240v single phase. A 1hp motor is probably too small for it, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...