Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lets hear from you NAVY guys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lets hear from you NAVY guys

After learning Tim Morton and I were both on the Enterprise at the same time and telling each other a few stories that maby should'nt be told in a public forum, I thought it would be fun to here from some of you other sailors.

I was a nuke MM1 Oct. 79-Oct85. Spent the first 2 years training in Great Lakes IL, Orlando Fla, and Idaho Falls ID. Last 4 years on the Big E in the engine room. Made 2 westpacs and alot on circles in the Indian Ocean because Moamar Khadaphi was acting up. Worked with some great guys an alot of memories.

What were you on, where were you at and what did you do.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

ET1.....1968-1976.....Great Lakes for Bootcamp and ET school. C school ...Brunswick GA.....4 years NAS Meridian MS...air traffic control maintenance......Brunswick GA "C" school......NAS Kingsville TX...1975.....USS Orion...AS-18 Subtender.... 8 months...1976

My father was a Chief Bosun.....My youngest is a LT in the Navy Reserves Inactive.......My oldest grandson leaves for Navy bootcamp ...August 2, 2006..........4th consecutive generation to serve in the USN.

BTW.......My oldest son served 9 years active in the US Army.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

ET, Feb 1971 till Nov 1976. Boot camp in SanDiago, ETA school Treasure Island. 4 years at NAF Andrews, Finished my tour at Naval Station Annapolis. 5years, 9 months and 3 days with 1 day at sea.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by David Wilson
    ET, Feb 1971 till Nov 1976. Boot camp in SanDiago, ETA school Treasure Island. 4 years at NAF Andrews, Finished my tour at Naval Station Annapolis. 5years, 9 months and 3 days with 1 day at sea.

Glad to see you survied that '1" day Hope it wasn't too rough on ya!!!

My 1 day at sea was on an ocean going tug out of San Francisco. A room mate at ETA school who graduated ahead of me invited me on a short trip towing targets.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

5 years in the navy...jan 80 to jan 85 spent the first two in pax river maryland(after boot camp at Great lakes and along with photoschool in pensecola and Key West) and the last 3 in san diego where i split time between the NAS Miramar photo lab and the CVIC photo lab aboard the USS Enterprise attached to the VF213 Black Lions...which was an F-14 squadron. It was a great time for me...lots of fantastic memories. There are some people I would LOVE to run into again...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    5 years in the navy...jan 80 to jan 85 spent the first two in pax river maryland(after boot camp at Great lakes and along with photoschool in pensecola and Key West) and the last 3 in san diego where i split time between the NAS Miramar photo lab and the CVIC photo lab aboard the USS Enterprise attached to the VF213 Black Lions...which was an F-14 squadron. It was a great time for me...lots of fantastic memories. There are some people I would LOVE to run into again...
    I see you were gone before the filming of "Top Gun" Here I was getting short (less than 30 days) and we had to go out for 20 days so Hollywood could make some money. I did meet Tom Cruise though.

I failed to mention in my first post that my dad had 4 years in during WWII. He was a gunner and bombadier on the PBY Mariners in the Pacific.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Somers
    I see you were gone before the filming of "Top Gun" Here I was getting short (less than 30 days) and we had to go out for 20 days so Hollywood could make some money. I did meet Tom Cruise though.

I failed to mention in my first post that my dad had 4 years in during WWII. He was a gunner and bombadier on the PBY Mariners in the Pacific.
    yes I just missed that one...but it was cool seeing the footage of the hangers in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Somers
    ...we had to go out for 20 days so Hollywood could make some money. I did meet Tom Cruise though.
    Back in March I was in San Diego for a conference in the Hyatt, which is right on the water. Last day I walked across the street and up a half block to this little barbecue/dive/restaurant for a supper. The walls were covered, with Top Gun memorabilia. My brain must have been running a cylinder short, as I couldn't figure out why they were so enamored of a 21 year old movie. Finally as I left the place, I happened to glance back and saw this sign painted on the wall outside which said something like "Top Gun: sleazy bar scene filmed here, May 1985".

I did get to tour the USS Midway while I was in San Diego, which was a really, really impressive thing.

best,
    ...art (My bro is a captain in the Canadian Air Force.)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Back in March I was in San Diego for a conference in the Hyatt, which is right on the water. Last day I walked across the street and up a half block to this little barbecue/dive/restaurant for a supper. The walls were covered, with Top Gun memorabilia. My brain must have been running a cylinder short, as I couldn't figure out why they were so enamored of a 21 year old movie. Finally as I left the place, I happened to glance back and saw this sign painted on the wall outside which said something like "Top Gun: sleazy bar scene filmed here, May 1985".

I did get to tour the USS Midway while I was in San Diego, which was a really, really impressive thing.

best,
    ...art (My bro is a captain in the Canadian Air Force.)
    A movie about US Navy sailors and the movie had a sleazy bar scene it.......Hollywood never does get it right..........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Uh-Oh. Looks like we got a few too many "skimmer pukes" here on the board. I'll try to even out the score.

USN 8/14/78- 8/14/84. Spent the last 85 days on terminal leave though.
    Boot Camp. San Diego Ca.
    Polaris Electronics "A" School in Dam Neck Va.
    Polaris Missle School. Ford Island Hawaii.
    USS John Marshal(SSBN 611B) out of Guam.
    Moved to the Atlantic fleet when FBM Submarines were phased out of the Pacific to Make way for the Tridents.
    Posiedon Missile School. Dam Neck Va.
    USS Andrew Jackson(SSBN 619G) out of Holy Loch Scotland.

Got out as an MT2(SS) Missile Technician.

Funniest "No S____er" story I have to tell. I got a Squandron Accomodation from SubPac for Vandalism.
    In the spring of '81 we came pack to Pearl to combine crews, and start the decommisioning process.
    For some reason they decided to send the boat back out to sea for a few weeks, but with two complete crews there wasn't enough space. 30 guys got left behind to work for the Barracks Master at Arms on the Sub Base in Pearl.
    The first morning at the Barracks The Senior Chief tells us that we are going to help "renovate" the barracks. They gave 30 squids sledge hammers and wrecking bars and took us up to the top floor to begin knocking out all of the walls, and destroying all of the rooms that were up there.
    We also had to empty all of the rooms of whatever furniture was in them, in addition to knocking out all of the walls. They had dumpsters all along the side of building and we just threw everything off of the top floor into these dumpsters. Beds, refer's, dressers, night stands everything, and oh yeah. We had to throw it through these big plate glass windows that had to be removed also.
    30 squids, with sledgehammers, destroying a barracks, and tossing everything off the top floor. I'm tellin' ya', it was truly priceless.... And that's a "No S_____er"

4 years and 10 months of doing the "Hunt for Red October". It was fun, but not enough fun for me to stay.

MMC (Select) after 10 years...but after 2 kids decided way too much at sea time was not my thing...so I didn't stick around to spend any time in the goat lockers. Boot Camp Great Lakes-1970...USS Milwaukee out of Newport...71...A-School, etc...USS Barry Athens Greece until 74...Reserve Center, Staten Island, NY until 77...USS John King out of Norfolk until 80. Went to work for the Navy at NAVSEA in DC in 80 as the Submarine Launching Systems Program Manager...took the office to Newport, RI in 98. Got 35 years and looking forward to retirement in a couple of years.

Dad did his war time duty on USS New Mexico. Son has been in the AF as an F-16 Avionics Tech for 8 years...doing his 2nd tour in Korea right now...with promise to Italy the beginning of 07.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thumbs up

I hope and pray that I don't offend anyone with this.

My Father was a SeaBee during WWII. He was over in Africa among other places. Wish I had talked to him more about it 'fore he passed.

But me. I was a chicken. I didn't want to go to Viet Nam and that is where I would have ended up. Draft shut down about the time I was old enough, 1971. I wasn't married nor was I in school. I went into construction after about a year after HS.

I will say that I personally thank every Vet when I can. I want to thank EVERY PERSON and their families on here who has been in the service.. Freedom isn't free and a lot of men and women have paid they price for our freedom.

THANK YOU LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

Mods, if you feel that this is too sensitive or it might cause trouble, PLEASE feel free to delete.

Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moore
    I hope and pray that I don't offend anyone with this.

My Father was a SeaBee during WWII. He was over in Africa among other places. Wish I had talked to him more about it 'fore he passed.

But me. I was a chicken. I didn't want to go to Viet Nam and that is where I would have ended up. Draft shut down about the time I was old enough, 1971. I wasn't married nor was I in school. I went into construction after about a year after HS.

I will say that I personally thank every Vet when I can. I want to thank EVERY PERSON and their families on here who has been in the service.. Freedom isn't free and a lot of men and women have paid they price for our freedom.

THANK YOU LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

Mods, if you feel that this is too sensitive or it might cause trouble, PLEASE feel free to delete.

Randy
    Randy.
    No worries from me. That was very strange time period in American history.

People enter the military for numerous reasons. For me it was Proposition 13 in California in the 70's. I was working the nite shift in an Alpha Beta supermarket, and going to college during the day. After Prop. 13 passed I had most of my curriculum canceled. 19 years old, out of college, and stocking shelves in a supermarket. Well, something had to change. I went into the military for the school, and the ability to see more than just So. Cal. I ended up stationed in Groton Ct, and have stayed here since I got out. For me it worked out. It has to be the right decision for the individual, or it can be a miserable experience for everyone until it's over. It wasn't the right decision for you. No crime in that.

Submarine service '61-'69 including training time. My old boat is on display at Naval Serviceman's Park, a museum, in Buffalo.