Thread: What size should a workbench top be

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like to be able to work a bench from both sides. Thus, the width for me which is comfortable is 26 1/2". But, length? As long as possible, basically. Most important is how the bench will hold your work. On my 2 main benches, I have traditional tail vises, and love them! One has an Emmert No. 2, and the other an older Richards Wilcox gravity drop half nut quick action. Both are good vises.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thanks guys.

Been looking 'round the 'net and there aren't many places that make custom sized wood workbench tops. Most are the standard 24", 30" and 36" wide by 60", 72" and 96" and most of them are 1 3/4" thick.

Any suggestions on how thick? My Anant vice would fit a 4" thick top with shims but i haven't decided on and end vice yet. I'm hoping to find something at least 3" thick, 4" would be better but I'm sure the prices go up exponentially.

The search continues.......

Thanks again for your input! I'm leaning toward 3' x 10' but we'll see whats available

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Brian,

I have been watching this as I was wondering where that you were going to get a custom bench top from. I did not even know that there was such a thing- other that the standard work benches. I do not really know but I would think that the cost, as compared to building it yourself, would be way up there.

Allen

Allen, i keep telling myself to build it myself but i don't have a reliable way to flatten it (other then a router bridge) and i just don't have that much free time. Our daughter just got her first house and it's a fixer-upper so since i know how to cut a board to length, i also the "hired carpenter'

It' looks like some of the custom kitchen counter top builders can make me one but i have to submit an RFQ

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Brian, when I buy a pre-made top it will be from the Bally Block people. They make a variety of bench tops and the 30x96 is available in 2 1/8 thickness.
    Best Regards, Ken

what size

30x98. I'm just putting it together. Beech top is 2". Base is Western Maple.

More depth would get in the way. The length would be fine at a minimum of 78". My shop in a new home is only 3 weeks old and already I am seeing the truth in the statement from Tage Frid about Americans not liking tool trays.Without a tool tray on the bench, I am dropping a lot of tools.

gary curtis