Thread: Old, New, and the ugly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old, New, and the ugly

This was a fun weekend for me. (Except for the heat...I didn't know I could sweat that much and not dry out). Last weekend I took delivery on an 8" jointer. Got it set up and started using it this past weekend. I know there are quite a few 490 owners on the creek. I hope to have the same great results. It's been great so far.
    G0490.JPG
    (I really need to get some dust control. I'm getting tired of the cartridge mask all the time.)

The other fun item happened yesterday. My first piece of old iron. I'm guessing late fifties, early sixties. I got it from a retired shop teacher. I hate to see the schools close down their woodshops. I don't know how to convince the schools they are loosing the oportunity to give these kids something that stays with them for a very long time. Be it just the great sense of accomplishment or even a trade that they enjoy.
    There are some things that need replacement (pulley with indexing tabs are all broken off) and the motor is 3 phase. So I'm sure I may need some forum advice about that when it comes time to get it fired up.
    Delta 46-400.JPG

And then the ugly.....well that would be me. But the camera broke when I tried to take a picture of myself. It's been said on this forum "No picture, it didn't happen." Hey, I'm looking better already, yeah that's the ticket. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by Jerry Strojny; 07-31-2006 at 1:11 PM.

Congrats on your new shop additions. I just ordered the same jointer. Lars

really like your lathe jerry! nice score..tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Your right Jerry

They are ugly Methinks they would look much better in my shop
    Enjoy your tools boy!

Just got the same jointer.

I got the same jointer (took delivery last week).
    Just fooled around with some scrap over the weekend and it does work well.
    Even made a piece of scrap 2 x 4 into a nice flat/square piece of wood.

Jeff

Jerry,
    Great gloats. Just get a nice VFD for that spinney thing and you'll be fine. If you've got questions either PM me or post the questions on the Turner forum. I'll be glad to help if you've got question.

VFD? that would work converting 3ph to single? (I know very little when it comes to flowing electrons) I figured I'd either need to get a phase coverter or a new motor. It's the original delta motor, so it will be sad if I have to replace it. I'm just a basement hobbyist, there's no reason to get 3 phase to my house. (Don't think the elec company would do it anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Strojny
    VFD? that would work converting 3ph to single? (I know very little when it comes to flowing electrons) I figured I'd either need to get a phase coverter or a new motor. It's the original delta motor, so it will be sad if I have to replace it. I'm just a basement hobbyist, there's no reason to get 3 phase to my house. (Don't think the elec company would do it anyway.)
    Depending on the Horsepower many VFD's take 1 Phase 230 and convert it to 3 phase. Plus you can gain some the ability to change the speed by turning a knob. It must be applied correctly. I wrote a thread with the information necessary to do this on the turners forum.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39536

Like I said when your ready let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Nice lathe, I looked for one of those for a while till mine found me. I second the VFD. I am running one now and it makes a sweet setup.

Jerry...
    The NEW jointer looks great. Enjoy it.
    The OLD lathe is sweet and deserves a good home. Take good care of it.
    The UGLy....I'm willing to take your word, so no pictures needed.

Nice score.

Jerry, Congrats on the jointer. Iv'e had mine for 6 months now. It's great machine at even a better price. Been looking at one of those "spinning things". There's a guy locally selling a delta that looks alot like your walker. Just can't make up my mind. So I quess it's congrats on both............

The lathe is actually a Delta/Rockwell. I have it sitting in a friends garage right now. I was absent minded not to right down the serial number on it before I left. But I know the catalog number is 46-400. My friend whose holding it is very active at the OWWM site and he actually was quite instrumental at getting their forum going. His garage is full of old iron, nothing newer than the 70's and then goes back to early 1900's with a 20" bandsaw. Very cool. He's restoring a Uni with his brother right now. Anyway, the lathe has a reeves variable speed drive. The motor is set with the tag facing the back of the compartment. So I will have to find a little mirror to find out what the horsepower is. My guess is 1 hp but would not be suprised if it's 3/4. My friend tells me it's the original motor because of it's end cover. So that is pretty cool. Now, if I can find accessories and replacement parts for it and (an affordable VFD) I will have to do some research on the VFD, sounds like another few months of saving for "toys". There is so much for me to learn......

great looking lathe
    best wishes
    lou

Your old lathe on a bad day will run better than my newer lathe on a good day. Nice jointer too. I'm going into my shop now to kick my jointer, or perhaps beat it with my lathe.

-Jeff