Thread: Square Aluminum stock - what to do with it?

Square Aluminum stock - what to do with it?

I just got my hands on some square aluminum stock (about 3"x4" rectangle, by about 4' long) from the jobsite. I was thinking it would be great for use with a jig of some sort, since it's extruded and therefore very straight (from a curtainwall system).

I could really use a better rip fence for my tablesaw, as the original Rockwell fence leaves much to be desired. Do any of you know of any plans for making one? I'd like to make something like the B-meyer T-square fence, but am not sure about how to make the locking mechanism.

Thanks,
    Matt

At one time, if I could have gotten hold of a piece like that I was going to make a router fence. I was going to put a movable split fence on it and block one open end of the tube and attach a vacuum to the other end for dust collection (see the Incra Wonder Fence at woodpeckers).

Mike

I'd cut thin veneers on my BS with it to extend its use as much as possible...that is some rare stuff yet beautiful stuff so be careful with it!

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I would certainly save it.

Believe it or not, I am a massive clean freak, but I found a place that is outside my shop, out of site and sheltered. I put my "scrap steel" there. Over the years it has come in handy. I have placed scraps of steel there that I had no idea what I would do with, since then I have built my own bandsaw fence (for a home-made bandsaw), mounted many motors, built my own steel router tables and tuned up other woodworking tools.

Extruded alumimum hollow square stock is a gift from the Woodworking Gods. Even if you do not have a project for it now, when the time is right, you will be glad you saved it.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Matt, all these replies are pure bunk! Send the bar to me and I will make chips out of it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino